MF Drive pedal = Sub Phatty Multidrive?

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
ChrisRamlar

MF Drive pedal = Sub Phatty Multidrive?

Post by ChrisRamlar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:52 am

First post here, I tried looking for the answer in the forums but couldn't find it so here it comes.
I bought a Sub Phatty for Christmas and I'm a bass player so I plugged my bass in the external in hoping to use the Multidrive to add some distortion to my bass and what a result! it sounds amazing and I would like to have that tone possibility without the Sub Phatty. Is the MF Drive a "copy" of the Multi Drive circuit? I read the description of both at Moog's site and Manuals and it seems that they are indeed the same thing (or pretty close). Any thoughts or comment on this assumption?

thanks!

EMwhite

Re: MF Drive pedal = Sub Phatty Multidrive?

Post by EMwhite » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:40 pm

I've got the opposite, an MF Drive but no Sub Phatty so difficult to say.

There are a 1,000 drive/overdrive/distortion pedals out there, maybe drag your bass down to the Guitar shack and see what works for you. Or buy a MF Drive from Sweetwater or someplace that will let you return it if you do not like it and see how it suits you. I play a Yamaha Attitude III through the MF Drive and with the pots set just right, I get absolute mayhem out of it via expression pedal.

But I'm not happy with JUST that. I also have a DIY B:assmaster picked up as a kit from GGG, and a TC MojoMojo; each offers it's own brand and I use different in different situations with the MojoMojo them most fuzz like.

Maybe somebody smart will tell you how the circuits of each differ but that's not me: : )
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:22 am

Call or write to Moog. The gang there are uber friendly and helpful. I'm sure they would give you a good answer... as long as they aren't under some sort of NDA.

Stephen

ChrisRamlar

Post by ChrisRamlar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:41 am

This is the answer I got from Moog which I think its the answer I was looking for I hope it serves as a reference.

"They are very similar but not quite exact.
I would suggest finding a dealer in your area that stocks the Minifooger and bring your bass for a listening test.
That’s the best way to determine if it is indeed the sound you are looking for."

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Likely the circuit that generates the FET & OTA clipping is "the same". I'm guessing that the extra tone settings on the drive have been optimized to assist the dominant frequencies of a guitar & bass. The multidrive in the SP doesn't have these (tone knob, peak switch).

That said, it is likely that the drive has a setting that is awefully close to what the SP sounds like, and will likely sound better / more dynamic for your bass.

Try the tone knob at noon & peak off to get close. The other difference that the drive doesn't have is the number of poles the filter has & resonance control.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.