Short - Long Switch Mod for Minifooger Delay

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
VCO_Labs

Short - Long Switch Mod for Minifooger Delay

Post by VCO_Labs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:49 pm

Ok, realize these are not in the wild yet, but I have been wondering if it would be possible to install a short - long switch (like the spillover mod switch) for delay time. I often flip between short and long on my Moogerfooger delay with my synths for some great effects.

unfiltered37

Re: Short - Long Switch Mod for Minifooger Delay

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:25 pm

Well any midi controller you can do it (with midi to cv). I use my 104 with a midi keyboard to change the delay time in discrete steps. But the short/long mod will not be the same as the 104 because the clock stays the same, if I am not incorrect on the minifooger. the clock times halves/doubles on the 104 switch I believe.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:35 pm

VCO_Labs wrote:Ok, realize these are not in the wild yet, but I have been wondering if it would be possible to install a short - long switch (like the spillover mod switch) for delay time. I often flip between short and long on my Moogerfooger delay with my synths for some great effects.
Disclaimer: I am certainly not a circuit-level engineer, but this is what I'd do:

Install a toggling footswitch into a small metal enclosure.

Add two potentiometers with values similar to those found in standard foot controllers.

Wire it so that the footswitch chooses between the two potentiometers.

Add a TRS cable with plug coming from the box.

Plug into the Minifooger Delay's EXP jack.

Make sure jack is set to control Delay Time.

Set the Minifooger's Delay knob to a specific spot.

Pick two values on the external pots that make Times you like.

Switch back and forth with external footswitch.

Those more wise in the ways of wiring could easily draw a schematic.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:53 pm

After thinking more about it:

You could make a simpler (though less flexible) version of the external Delay Time box with only one potentiometer and one switch.

The switch would have to be wired such that, in one position it would engage the potentiometer and, in the other position, it would have no external effect on the Minifooger's Delay Time.

Then you'd switch between the main knob's Delay Time setting and the Delay Time offset provided by the external box.

I suspect that neither of these solutions will always give you exact 2:1 ratios of Delay Time if you move the Minifooger's Delay Time knob to various extremes. But you certainly can set it again by hand to be "near exact" whenever you radically change the Delay Time.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _