What are these things?

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
stiiiiiiive

Re: What are these things?

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:11 pm

Agreed.
What I meant is that, for some people, the DMMTT and DMM won't do the same job. I was actually surprised how different the DMMTT and DMB are, so was I when I compared the 104Z and 104M. However, I wouldn't go for a Model D instead of my modern Moog. Yet. ;)
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:47 pm

DBB??? j/k

I remember when the DMMTT first came out, and reviewers felt compelled to point out they didn't sound exactly like vintage DMMs, because it's well known that DMM aficionados obsess over MN3008 vs MN3005 chips and the like - just as bad as Moog-heads who love to remind the rest of us how the Voyager doesn't sound like the Model D.

Outside of fanboi circles though, I think DMMs do have a general sonic signature, and that a Voyager still has that unmistakeable Moog sound - and any savvy musician is going to be able to set up a current model DMM or Voyager so the lay person can't tell the difference.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:01 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:DBB??? j/k
Deluxe Bebory Boy, I have a co'd :lol:

Agreed again.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:06 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
I also read that the Way Huge Supa Puss also have problems with its tap tempo.
It's funny that when you cascade quotes you end up being misquoted.

I know this is a total tangent but . . . about the Supa-Puss. I was among a pool of users for that pedal that complained about the tap tempo. Comparatively, the 104m had a much more accurate tap tempo (i think) than the Supa-Puss.

It seems the problem may be that they (Way Huge-definitely MM- not confirmed) use a RC constant as opposed to a crystal component.

Now, I don't actually use a DMM w/ TT 550. I own a DMM w/ TT 1100 and have a 550 on hold at my fave dealer. The 1100 is like a MF-104SD that actually works and sounds crisper. . . I'm just assuming that the 550 is as reliable and consistent. I've also played but never owned a vintage DMM, and this one sounds close enough for me with a longer clearer delay tone.

The best thing (besides accurate TT) about the DMM w/TT's is that it actually can be used in true stereo. You have a mix out and a wet out, but this isn't obvious from the instructions or the face of the pedal. You just have to use the Effects Loop Send as a second output. I did this with my classical guitar at a recent gig for a stereo reverb/chorus effect and it sounded so good that I got a $50 tip . . . that's probably the first pedal to get me some of my money back! :o

I'm still using my 104m for it's fantastic chorus effect in my longer pedal chains and I want to use it when I finally get a MIDI controller to get the longest analog delay in any pedal . . . 800ms x 8 = 6.4 secs (supposedly) and to reiterate I was very impressed with the minifooger sound on the fastest delay setting on that QOTSA guitarist demo

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:27 pm

Croyote wrote: It's funny that when you cascade quotes you end up being misquoted.

I try to be careful about misquoting anyone, so my apologies if you felt I misquoted you.

If I already had a MF104M I'd probably keep it too, even with its tap tempo issue(s), for the various benefits that it does offer, like the ones you mentioned.

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:51 pm

No worries. I'm sure it's function of the forum when you quote a quote that's been quoted.

Lol. I've never even owned an octatrack . . . and don't know what it is.

Oh yeah, and about the Ring Modulator . . . for a little less you can get a Way Huge Ringworm (actually a lot less if you poke around). I doubt it sounds quite as good as the Minifooger Ring, but you get a lot of options out of it. I like the Ringworm and find it very flexible. I got mine brand new for about $100.

Rumour has it you can get the Copilot FX guy to build something between the Ringworm and MF-102 (w/ carrier input etc) for the $200 range.