What are these things?

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
LivePsy

What are these things?

Post by LivePsy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:49 pm

I'm not sure what these Foogers are supposed to be.

Are Moog grabbing the stomp box market hoping people will upgrade to the big Foogers? Will these Mini Foogers steal market share from the big Foogers and come back to bite Moog?

Disclaimer, I've never been that sold on the Mooger Fooger concept. Its either too much patch cabling and flexibility for guitarists, or not enough patch cabling and flexibility for synthesists.

But it leaves me wondering what these mini Goofers, sorry Foogers are

B
I've stopped talking now.

latigid on

Re: What are these things?

Post by latigid on » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:59 am

They are a bit "dumbed down" in my opinion. For an example, look at the description for the Trem. Moogerfoogers bridge the gap between the guitar and synth worlds; this is exactly how I got into the latter. Minifoogers look to be very quick to assemble and calibrate, the others are complex beasts that have multiple components and adjustment points.

facon

Post by facon » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:40 am

They are aimed at guitar and bass players. Moogerfoogers bridged the gap and guitar players started using them. The feedback seemed to be overwhelming from many guitar players. It's standard pedal size, true bypass and affordable. It seems like they are upsetting some people here? Yes, there are less features, but now a lot more people can afford Moog quality effects. I've already preordered the drive and couldn't be more excited!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:29 am

LivePsy wrote:I'm not sure what these Foogers are supposed to be.

Are Moog grabbing the stomp box market hoping people will upgrade to the big Foogers?
Unlikely
LivePsy wrote: Will these Mini Foogers steal market share from the big Foogers and come back to bite Moog?
Look at Apple. Sold way more iPhones than Mac computers, which are much more expensive than iPhones. I don't claim to have a degree in marketing or any other expertise though.
LivePsy wrote: Disclaimer, I've never been that sold on the Mooger Fooger concept. Its either too much patch cabling and flexibility for guitarists, or not enough patch cabling and flexibility for synthesists.
The minis are intended to be more appealing to guitarist than the bigger foogers, with respect to lower prices and smaller form factors. They are meant to attract relatively conservative-minded guitarists who want to add some Moog flavor to their pedalboards, but don't want to spend too much money or get pedals that take up too much space on the pedalboard. The bigger foogers will continue to be there for the more adventurously minded guitarists, or conservatively-minded ones that simply want wood sides and are willing to pay more just for those. The most adventurously minded would of course skip all the foogers and go with a modular.

That all said, I'm interested in the Drive - I think the dirty filter would sound nice on my viola.

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:40 am

Who started this myth that guitarists are conservative? Just about every guitarist I have ever known has spent about an equal amount of money on drugs and tattoos. 8)
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:14 pm

EricK wrote:Who started this myth that guitarists are conservative? Just about every guitarist I have ever known has spent about an equal amount of money on drugs and tattoos. 8)
Not that kind of conservative.

"Every guitar must look like a Fender or Gibson" kind of conservative. You know full well that is not a myth. :wink:

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:54 pm

LivePsy wrote: Disclaimer, I've never been that sold on the Mooger Fooger concept. Its either too much patch cabling and flexibility for guitarists, or not enough patch cabling and flexibility for synthesists.
What more flexibility do you want? The full MF's are perfect for people with keyboard synths. I find the flexibility huge.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Forget about their big brother for a moment; Take each Fooger, compare it to something else in pedalboard friendly packaging that you can buy for similar money +/- $20 and try and figure out which is better. Oh, add some Moog cache' for good measure and the fact that they all take CV/Expression pedal.

I've got some strong feelings about three of them; the other two I will leave to somebody else to dive into:

In the Delay market, you've got the Malekko 616 or the MXR Carboncopy or EHX MemoryBoy Deluxe. Expression pedal is a killer feature from a performance point of view if you can really harness the power and work it into your routine. But otherwise, what does it offer? Need to let your ears decide because it's NOT obvious on the faceplate that there is much new or added benefit there, certainly the absence of built in modulation might draw people towards the other products. But PERSONALLY, I might be inclined to sell my 104M and get one or two of these and have some money left over but I'm just a bit (very) different from your garden variety guitar or synth player. The 104M is an animal but I can't say that I'm using even 30% of the features. While I would miss is the bypass feature of the 104M and the Midi sync. Memory Boy Deluxe comes 1/2 way between a 104M and the more basic analog delays. I do think they will sell a fair number of these because there are some delay junkies out there that have no problems owning several.

Ring Mod - there is the Ring thing.... ah, screw it, just go for the big brother for another $100; for a full palette of weirdness, control and LFO out. But me? I have little use for Ring Mod although I won't sell mine, that would be a nicht nicht.

Drive - (I've got a preorder in); seems very unique to me. I'm a Bass player but also play a Bass VI variant. I've got a DIY B:AssMaster and a TC Mojo Mojo; but I think this should come in between and drive my tube amp front end nicely while adding many sweetspots across the dial with the aid of the filter and feedback. I think they are going to sell tons of these so if you are at all interested, get your preorder in now or be prepared to wait.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:56 pm

EMwhite wrote: In the Delay market, you've got the Malekko 616 or the MXR Carboncopy or EHX MemoryBoy Deluxe. Expression pedal is a killer feature from a performance point of view if you can really harness the power and work it into your routine. But otherwise, what does it offer? Need to let your ears decide because it's NOT obvious on the faceplate that there is much new or added benefit there, certainly the absence of built in modulation might draw people towards the other products. But PERSONALLY, I might be inclined to sell my 104M and get one or two of these and have some money left over but I'm just a bit (very) different from your garden variety guitar or synth player. The 104M is an animal but I can't say that I'm using even 30% of the features. While I would miss is the bypass feature of the 104M and the Midi sync. Memory Boy Deluxe comes 1/2 way between a 104M and the more basic analog delays. I do think they will sell a fair number of these because there are some delay junkies out there that have no problems owning several.

Ring Mod - there is the Ring thing.... ah, screw it, just go for the big brother for another $100; for a full palette of weirdness, control and LFO out. But me? I have little use for Ring Mod although I won't sell mine, that would be a nicht nicht.

Drive - (I've got a preorder in); seems very unique to me. I'm a Bass player but also play a Bass VI variant. I've got a DIY B:AssMaster and a TC Mojo Mojo; but I think this should come in between and drive my tube amp front end nicely while adding many sweetspots across the dial with the aid of the filter and feedback. I think they are going to sell tons of these so if you are at all interested, get your preorder in now or be prepared to wait.
Just get an EHX DMMw/TT 550 for the cost of two Minifooger delays.

Not only does the tap tempo actually line up with a metronome/steady beat (unlike the MF104m"s) but also he only thing it's missing is variable waveform modulation, which you can easily add to the effects loop. The DMMTT's chorus effect is really nice, but so is the MF 104m and the sound of the MiniFooger Delay on the shortest delay setting.

I'm not as impressed by the Minifooger Ring Mod as I would like to be. I'm holding out for a Lovetone RIngStinger (or clone) or Hexe Carrier 3.

The Drive is an awesome pedal. I had a friend who built something like this (w/o a ladder filter) but as far as I know he hasn't perfected it.

The one I really absolutely must-have is the Trem. I don't think the demos really spent enough time on it. I end up using my MF105m to create trem effects, but I would rather use it for other things.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Croyote wrote:
Just get an EHX DMMw/TT 550 for the cost of two Minifooger delays.

Not only does the tap tempo actually line up with a metronome/steady beat (unlike the MF104m"s) but also he only thing it's missing is variable waveform modulation, which you can easily add to the effects loop. The DMMTT's chorus effect is really nice, but so is the MF 104m and the sound of the MiniFooger Delay on the shortest delay setting.
I also read that the Way Huge Supa Puss also have problems with its tap tempo.

I personally don't need tap tempo on a delay pedal. However, the ability to freely assign expression pedal modes with a button press without opening the pedal, the choice of 5 tempo subdivisions, and the effects loop are all appealing features to me. I had a "big box" DMM that I sold to help fund my Octatrack - so I'm a confirmed fan of the DMM sound.

And yes, the Drive is the Minifooger I want the most.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:13 pm

GovernorSilver wrote: And yes, the Drive is the Minifooger I want the most.
Ordered mine from Sweetwater (Drive, that is). In speaking to my rep, there is still time to grab from the first batch when they arrive and then, reportedly a 2-week gap between expected shipments to Sweetwater.

If you are in the NYC Metropolitan area, "Main Drag Music" in Brooklyn is reporting (on FaceBook) that they will have MiniFoogers at a "Stompbox Exhibit" NEXT Sat/Sun (19th/20th). It may just be Moog onsite with demos but if they actually have them for sale, I'll be picking one up unless, miraculously, Sweetwater ships by then.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:50 pm

EMwhite wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote: And yes, the Drive is the Minifooger I want the most.
If you are in the NYC Metropolitan area, "Main Drag Music" in Brooklyn is reporting (on FaceBook) that they will have MiniFoogers at a "Stompbox Exhibit" NEXT Sat/Sun (19th/20th). It may just be Moog onsite with demos but if they actually have them for sale, I'll be picking one up unless, miraculously, Sweetwater ships by then.
Thanks for the heads up! I'm in the DC area but this sounds like a great excuse to make a day trip up to NYC. I'll bring my viola.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:55 pm

GovernorSilver wrote:
Croyote wrote:I had a "big box" DMM that I sold to help fund my Octatrack - so I'm a confirmed fan of the DMM sound.
I use a DMMTT and, from what I've seen of the original DMM, they don't sound the same, neither does the DMB by the way.

GovernorSilver

Post by GovernorSilver » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:18 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:
GovernorSilver wrote:
Croyote wrote:I had a "big box" DMM that I sold to help fund my Octatrack - so I'm a confirmed fan of the DMM sound.
I use a DMMTT and, from what I've seen of the original DMM, they don't sound the same, neither does the DMB by the way.
It doesn't have to sound exactly the same. Even vintage DMMs are said to not sound exactly like other vintage DMMs. I'm not the sort of player who obsesses over what bucket brigade chip was used (several different types were used over the years in the DMMs).

The big box DMM I used to own supposedly had the "desirable" chips. However, I wanted the Octatrack more than I wanted the "most desirable variant" of a generally desirable sound.

If I were that kind of purist, I wouldn't have a Voyager. I'd have a Model D insteadl.

What matters more is that the sound is generally good and the features all function as expected. The DMM is probably the most emulated analog delay in history, and for good reason.

Music Store Live

Post by Music Store Live » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:26 pm

These pedals are great! When we first heard the prototypes, everyone in the room was blown away.

Not only are they made with Moog's top-notch quality, but compared to the MoogerFoogers, they have a smaller footprint, more guitar-oriented features, and a universal tip-negative 9V power port, so it can be used with a 1-spot, DC brick, etc. They're great in lieu of, or as a compliment to the MoogerFoogers, depending on your needs.

I predict that the delay especially will be a standard amongst guitar players - it just sounds way to good to not be for $199 street price. I personally played all of them, and am ordering them for myself.

I don't think you guys will be disappointed in these! Another great release from Moog in my opinion.