MiniFooger Power 9V+, but tip or sleeve?

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
HumanByDesign

MiniFooger Power 9V+, but tip or sleeve?

Post by HumanByDesign » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:16 am

Hey I was curious about the power input on the Minifoogers. You've got the pedals labled 9V+, but is that the tip or sleeve? There is nothing in the manual to indicate which. Is it standard to assume sleeve positive?(I don't know) Most pedal makers now will indicate "center negative" with the little diagram beside the plug.
My whole board is based on "center negative"?
...Just trying to avoid pedal power bedlam.

EMwhite

Re: MiniFooger Power 9V+, but tip or sleeve?

Post by EMwhite » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 am

It's negative tip (center) according to Sweetwater; fwiw, none of the Mini's come with Power supply ($20).

Smart move, because it's compatible with pedal board power supply now. But ... dumb move; they didn't bother to silkscreen the back of the pedal, at least the photos all show this way. Some dummy (me) is going to mistakenly plug a regular MoogerFooger PS in and ... kaboom!
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:40 am

I gues... hope they've put a diode to protect the circuit from such mismanipulation. (<-- me talking tech-electronics for the first time as I'm learning :oops: )

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Wed Oct 09, 2013 1:12 pm

stiiiiiiive wrote:I gues... hope they've put a diode to protect the circuit from such mismanipulation. (<-- me talking tech-electronics for the first time as I'm learning :oops: )
This is just common sense design, it's probably harder to find a circuit without the $0.01 part I'd think!

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:28 pm

EMwhite wrote:It's negative tip (center) according to Sweetwater; fwiw, none of the Mini's come with Power supply ($20).

Smart move, because it's compatible with pedal board power supply now. But ... dumb move; they didn't bother to silkscreen the back of the pedal, at least the photos all show this way. Some dummy (me) is going to mistakenly plug a regular MoogerFooger PS in and ... kaboom!
No danger of a Moogerfooger power supply damaging the Minifoogers. It simply will not work.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Good to hear. I've heard of people plugging the incorrect PS into MoogerFoogers and blowing them up; maybe hearsay? But in any case, one more concern knocked off the list. I'll be getting the Boost to try with my Bass.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:53 am

Sometimes the transformer itself will crap out on you if it heats up too much.

Moog Music

Post by Moog Music » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:30 pm

EMwhite wrote:Good to hear. I've heard of people plugging the incorrect PS into MoogerFoogers and blowing them up; maybe hearsay? But in any case, one more concern knocked off the list. I'll be getting the Boost to try with my Bass.
Hi EMwhite,
Reverse polarity is not an issue in any Moogerfooger currently in production.
You'll dig the Boost. Do check out the Drive with bass. It will knock your socks off.

-Your Friends at Moog

davydka

Post by davydka » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:40 am

I've blown 2 Malekko mini pedals this way. Assholes! Luckily my engineer friend fixed them up.
latigid on wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:I gues... hope they've put a diode to protect the circuit from such mismanipulation. (<-- me talking tech-electronics for the first time as I'm learning :oops: )
This is just common sense design, it's probably harder to find a circuit without the $0.01 part I'd think!

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:08 am

Ouch. Price drop must have been possible with some compromises... too bad.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:16 am

Moog Music wrote:
EMwhite wrote:Good to hear. I've heard of people plugging the incorrect PS into MoogerFoogers and blowing them up; maybe hearsay? But in any case, one more concern knocked off the list. I'll be getting the Boost to try with my Bass.

Hi EMwhite,
Reverse polarity is not an issue in any Moogerfooger currently in production.
You'll dig the Boost. Do check out the Drive with bass. It will knock your socks off.

-Your Friends at Moog
so does this mean that you can use a "regular BOSS" style adapter and the moogerfooger will still work? or does this mean that it just wont turn on to protect it from burning out?
And is this the case with since the beginning, or just the recent line of moogers (with the powder coat metal housing)?
Sorry for all the questions, but i always fear blowing gear up as i have done it in the past(2 electribes) with a power supply that was actually wired wrong.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:06 am

Not an expert yet :) as I don't have mine yet but 6 days from now I will be assuming Main Drag in Brooklyn gets a set to demo...

But based on the specs that I read, all of the MiniF's are Boss power compatible, which is the opposite polarity of MoogerFoogers. The comment on 'potential blowup' and full fooger line being protected against such mishaps may or may not apply to the original Big Briar Foogers... don't know. Certainly, the Mini F's do not appear to be auto polarity switchable, else it would be a billed feature.

Just consult the magical legend that most pedals have next to the power jack, or on the bottom and on the PS. The new line are extremely power efficient (at most, mid 20-something mA); full size Foogers require more power, especially those with CV out (envelope followers / LFO out)

And the ratings are important because of power budgets that Voodoo and Fuel Tank type power supply products offer (and that you will inevitably run low on your monster pedal boards!).