Minimoog MacOs App "Free to all current Model D iOS App owners"?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
calaverasgrande

Minimoog MacOs App "Free to all current Model D iOS App owners"?

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:22 pm

I own the IOS App.
But when I navigate to the Minimoog App page on my Mac it shows $24.99.
Not a cloud or download symbol.
It worked for the Model 15.
Is there a trick to this?
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld

calaverasgrande

Re: Minimoog MacOs App "Free to all current Model D iOS App owners"?

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:46 pm

Think I figured it out.
Had to go to "purchased" page in my account on App store.

goomba

Post by goomba » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:26 pm

Didn't work for me: I don't see Minimoog Model D on my Purchased page, and where I do see it, it shows as $24.99.

I do see Model 15 Modular Synthesizer on my Purchased page, and when I open that App Store link for more info, it shows that it is "Also Included In" Moog Vintage Synthesizer Bundle which indicates it has been PURCHASED.

But unfortunately when I open the bundle in the App Store it shows the bundle as:
  • Minimoog Model D Synthesizer $24.99
  • Model 15 Modular Synthesizer [cloud download symbol]
And when I select the $24.99 symbol it changes to BUY APP and asks to authenticate me to make the purchase (so I cancelled it).

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:07 am

yeah that is pretty much what I saw.
I plugged in my phone to see if there was any kind of 'transfer purchase' button I could find.
I didn't.
But I wonder if that helped the App store figure it out?
They only just changed this to a Mac and IOS App this week. Maybe it takes a while to filter out through all of Apple's CDNs that serve data to the App store.
I tried to find a 'clear cache' for the App store but no dice.

Marzzz

Post by Marzzz » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:38 pm

After some initial frustration, I was able to download and run the MacOS app. I don't think I didi anything, it just became available as a download on the App Store.
Last edited by Marzzz on Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Model P

Post by Model P » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:16 pm

I notice I'm not the only one.
I got a reply from Moog support, that I needed to download the app through the 'purchases' page on the app store, but like others here have mentioned, Model D is not listed at all.
I do have the "Vintage Synth Bundle" and it shows as "Purchased", but still Model D is priced at 24,99€

I'm confident it's on Moog's radar and will be resolved in the coming days....

redlester

Post by redlester » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:49 pm

Same problem here - it wants to charge me £21.99 in UK money. I have the app open now on my iPhone.

Will leave it a day or two and try again.

AlanC

Post by AlanC » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:14 pm

Exactly the same here: it shows that I purchased the "Moog Vintage Synthesizer Bundle" since I bought the Model 15 and Model D for iOS, but the Model D costs £21.99 despite being part of a bundle that I've "purchased". The Model D doesn't show up on the purchased lists for Mac Apps or iPhone & iPad Apps on the Mac AppStore, but both appear on my iPad.

It's been said on GearSpace that you won't actually get charged, so I started the purchase process and got all the way to the confirmation that my payment method would be charged before chickening out and cancelling it.

redlester

Post by redlester » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:29 pm

OK this is now solved. Here's what I had from a user on another forum - and this worked for me...
I went through the process earlier. Although it appears that you need to pay, you don't. Click on the button. It will then ask to to confirm that you want to purchase. Click and proceed. Finally, a dialogue pops up to say that as you already own the iOS version, this update is free. Apple's system is clearly not designed for this sort of offer and you do have to hold your nerve when going through the prompts!

BenH

Post by BenH » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:54 am

This definitely works! :D
I just downloaded for free following those instructions after hours of trying to figure why they wanted me to pay...
Thank you!
redlester wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:29 pm OK this is now solved. Here's what I had from a user on another forum - and this worked for me...
I went through the process earlier. Although it appears that you need to pay, you don't. Click on the button. It will then ask to to confirm that you want to purchase. Click and proceed. Finally, a dialogue pops up to say that as you already own the iOS version, this update is free. Apple's system is clearly not designed for this sort of offer and you do have to hold your nerve when going through the prompts!

calaverasgrande

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:54 pm

I'm not comfortable with just clicking "buy".
As much as I love and appreciate the folks in Asheville and want to support their business model of an employee owned company, a nice slice of that fee goes to Apple who is fine, but not in a way that I want to hug them and make them tea.
I didn't have any such issue with the Model 15 app.
But then I didn't know it had been brought over to the MacOS world.
I was just in the App store one day checking to see if I had any apps I forgot to install on the new Mac I was migrating to, and wow will you look at that, Model 15!
I think a month or more had passed since it debuted on the Mac App store so I had no problems downloading and installing.

I really think it is glitch of CDNs. Content Delivery Networks.
It's the same kind of infrastructure that Netflix uses to serve video to millions of people.
Instead of having one big server in the middle of the country you have dozens of smaller servers located in dozens of geographic zones to shorten the length of network traversed by putting the files closer to the user.
There is also a 'propagation delay'. It takes a little while for the smaller servers to update all their contents from the bigger upstream servers.

I have no way of knowing exactly how Apple does theirs. But I highly doubt they reinvented the wheel here. This is how every medium to large size tech company does such things.

I have heard of people rushing to get a new app update and actually grabbing the old one because the server cache wasn't updated yet.

PS for the nerds, yes I know these are all virtual servers running virtual databases not actual hardware.

goomba

Post by goomba » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:47 pm

It is now appearing as a free download, with a download arrow. Success!

Looks like a new version dropped 3 days ago so perhaps the change occurred then.

AlanC

Post by AlanC » Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:34 pm

It's just appeared among my previously purchased Mac apps as well. Looks like it can take a significant amount of time for changes of this sort to propagate through everyone's accounts: Model 15 was available on the Mac as soon as Moog released it, but this time it's taken 2 weeks for Model D to show up.