Animoog Z - toggle button inconsistency with MIDI CCs

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Almost Aviation

Animoog Z - toggle button inconsistency with MIDI CCs

Post by Almost Aviation » Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:36 am

I have found that toggle button controls (eg. the Sync buttons, Hold, etc) behave inconsistently in how they send CCs that have been mapped to external hardware. See my original message below, then some additional info...

(original message)

I just got Z (nice surprise) and I was able to map my Behringer BCR-2000 controller to it, with a custom overlay I made for the old Animoog. Most of the mappings transfer across no problems, and there are a bunch of new ones to add. BUT… the BCR-2000 is great because it has LEDs on the encoders to display the current settings. In Animoog, these settings are refreshed when selecting a new patch, because Animoog sends all the CCs on a patch change. In Animoog Z this works for everything except all the toggle buttons (sync buttons, hold, etc.)

I have not investigated this in detail but I am presuming AZ isn’t sending the CCs for the buttons. Does this ring any bells, or can any beta tester confirm?

(end of original)

On further investigation, what seems to happen is this. Let's use the Hold button as an example. First, if that button is mapped to a MIDI CC, each time I press it on the screen Animoog Z sends out a CC (with a 0 or 127 value for on or off). This works fine, so it turns the appropriate LED on or off on my BCR-2000 button. Now, if instead I press the mapped button on the BCR-2000, it sends a CC to Animoog Z, which responds correctly to toggle the Hold function on or off. This is reflected on the Animoog Z display, and the function is indeed switched on or off as expected. BUT... if I now press the button on the Animoog display, although the Hold function toggles correctly, no MIDI CC message is sent out.

To summarise, if I toggle a button control from the hardware mapped button, the next time I press the Animoog Z on-screen button it doesn't generate a MIDI CC. This seems clearly wrong to me. The behaviour appears consistently across all the toggle buttons I have tried (eg. the Sync buttons for each effect).

It seems to me there is some flag array that tracks the state of the buttons separately from either the actual function state or the state of the button graphic, but this is (erroneously) not being updated when the state change is triggered by an external CC. This means the actual state can get out of step with the mapped hardware.
MarkH

Almost Aviation

Re: Animoog Z - toggle button inconsistency with MIDI CCs

Post by Almost Aviation » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:23 am

I reported this to [email protected] as directed but haven't had any acknowledgement. Can I be sure this problem has been noticed?
MarkH

Almost Aviation

Post by Almost Aviation » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:08 pm

It looks like this has been addressed in the latest update, and the toggle buttons now seem to work correctly. But now Animoog doesn't send the MIDI CCs on changing patches!

Although at first sight it looks as if a few CCs get sent, I'm pretty sure these are the LFOs and any controls that are bound to LFOs in the new patch's MOD matrix. So they aren't getting sent on the patch change, they're getting generated by the action of the LFOs after the patch has loaded.

This is disastrous! Someone please tell me I am missing some obvious setting. (And yes, I do have 'send controls' switched on in Settings.) :shock:
MarkH

Almost Aviation

Post by Almost Aviation » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:53 pm

And they've fixed it now (1.0.8 ) 8)
MarkH