Animoog no longer responds to CC#1

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Almost Aviation

Animoog no longer responds to CC#1

Post by Almost Aviation » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:29 pm

Until recently I was using my Behringer BCR2000 to send CC#1 to Animoog, which operated Animoog's Mod strip as expected. For some reason this no longer works. I have also tried sending the CC from another app (MIDILFOs), with the same lack of success. Other apps respond to CC#1 as I expect, and Animoog responds to other CCs okay.

In case it matters, the BCR2000 can also send 'aftertouch', which it seems to do as Channel Pressure (so for Channel 6 it sends D0 5 n FF, where n is the value). This has also stopped working. I can't imagine what I have done to wreck this but I'm convinced both were working fine before.

Any hints are appreciated!
MarkH

Almost Aviation

Re: Animoog no longer responds to CC#1

Post by Almost Aviation » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:36 pm

Okay, this is sorted, although I don't quite understand why.

What I have discovered is that when I have an external hardware keyboard mapped as an input to Animoog (currently in AUM), and I play a note from that keyboard, Animoog will respond to CC#1 sent from any source - i.e. any other keyboard, hardware controller or app. This is also true for the aftertouch (which my BCR2000 sends as a Channel Pressure message). However, if in the same circumstances I play a note from the Animoog keyboard, it doesn't respond to CC#1 or aftertouch from an external source. And if I don't have an external keyboard mapped, it doesn't respond to CC#1 or aftertouch from external sources.

My hypothesis (not checked out yet) is that if a keyboard is connected (actually, it also works with a NDLR instead of a keyboard) then Animoog responds to standard MIDI CCs from anywhere when it is playing notes sent from an external device. I say standard ones, because if I map CCs inside Animoog (from the MAP CC page) it will respond to these even when playing notes on the Animoog keyboard or if no external keyboard is connected.

Maybe I haven't expressed that as clearly as I am thinking it, but perhaps it makes sense to someone!
MarkH