Moog M15 App Updated!

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
synthguy

Moog M15 App Updated!

Post by synthguy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Moog has updated their already excellent Model 15 app, and along with substantial updates to the Audiobus capabilities, Midi and the built-in recorder they have included three new collections of presets available as IAPs, including a collection I designed specifically for this app called Mercurial Strategies.

I've created a demo for some of these sounds that can be auditioned here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0YEDkDkaTU

These recordings were made by running the M15 played live via an Arturia Launchpad 25 keyboard through Audiobus and directly into Auria on an IPad pro.
No additional EQ, effects or apps were employed during the recording process.

This collection contains 75 presets from my personal library that I've created for this app, which are each carefully crafted to display a number of powerful capabilities and programming strategies that might normally be overlooked by other programmers. This is not a collection with multiple variations of the same basic patch routing (or "strategy"). Most of these presets utilize a unique realization of module arrangement to produce their sound and each is capable of providing many more useful variations of the example presented when a user explores the options represented in that particular "strategy".

These cover a wide range of offerings, from lush pads to cutting leads to surreal soundscapes and effects, and each has documentation embedded in the preset description discussing such things as unusual programming techniques involved, sound concept genesis, advantageous adjustments, and useful playing suggestions to get the most out of each patch.

In them, I explore interesting and unique ways to create velocity sensitivity, stereo manipulation, unusual and dynamic filtering, creative techniques for the built-in digital delay, controllable feedback networks, differential and phase modulation, alternative uses for the Mod Wheel, and many others. A number of these patches specifically utilize the incredible polyphonic capabilities of the app. This makes exploring each preset aurally interesting and gratifying, as well as serving as a handy tutorial for users to incorporate these useful and powerful concepts into their own work.

I'm a 30+ year owner of a Moog System 55 (as well as many other synthesizers by Moog, Sequential, Oberheim and others) and have developed a number of interesting patches for it both on my own, and through interactions over the years with the many fascinating and talented individuals I've had the good fortune of meeting and collaborating with. As you might expect, I've been able to scale and transfer some of these to the Model 15 platform, with what I think are very good results.

I hope that these patches will inspire you to create your own great electronic music!

Cheers!
Visit my synthblog...Moogs and more!
Www.synthguy.com

Mikenett

Re: Moog M15 App Updated!

Post by Mikenett » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:19 pm

App doesn’t work on iOS 11 , crashes instantly . £28.99 I’ve wasted till it’s updated

Satri

Post by Satri » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:34 am

Hi Mikenett,

iOS 11 won't be released until this Fall! I'm confident Moog will update their apps for iOS 11 compatibility in time for the actual release :-)

Regards -- Alex / Satri
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

Mikenett

Post by Mikenett » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:45 am

I'm using the beta version , its the first of my apps that isn't working with it . Not a big deal as long as it works when it's released officially .

scrichton

Post by scrichton » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:46 pm

I've experienced the same crashes, which I expect is due to the changes made to the Metal gpu engine in iOS. Having read the developer notes on the changes, it's actually a really good thing moog will have to update to it as the new OpenCl based stuff may actually give more processing power back to the main cpu, making the app even smoother again.

My biggest hope is that a split screen mode would work, as the new app switching is not as fluid in ios11 so far, for quick app jumps. Such as using Lemur to sequence the 15.

If anyone in moog sees this I would be happy to do some beta testing, if it will help out for resolving bugs before launch. Or if there is any news on the progress of the port to the new API's that would be great too, just to know if users should downgrade or hold tight. I'll also caveat, that as long as you don't use some truly hateful bug reporting tools too! I have to endure enough at work every day :)

Steven

Mikenett

Post by Mikenett » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Now working on iOS 11 beta :D