Model 15 as external instrument in Ableton

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
billy_skills

Model 15 as external instrument in Ableton

Post by billy_skills » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 am

Hi there

apologies if this is covered elsewhere on this forum, i couldn't find anything.

(I'm using a focurite saffire 1820 interface, and running Ableton 9 on Windows 10, with Model 15 running on an ipadpro)

I just installed the Moog Model 15 on my ipad pro and i love it. I would like to work this into my Ableton live worfklow, so that it acts as an external instrument (meaning I can send it midi notes and i can hear the audio through ableton). Obviously I could just take the line output from the headphone jack on the ipad and send it to my audio interface, but is there an easy way to route the midi notes than come from my midi controller (alesis v49) through ableton and back to the ipad (to be picked up by the Moog)?

(I have a usb camera connection kit that i use to connect an audio interface and usb midi controller to the ipad, not sure if this would come in useful?)

thanks for any help!

Billy

conspiracytherapist

Re: Model 15 as external instrument in Ableton

Post by conspiracytherapist » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:22 pm

I use the iPad app MIDI MUX and it is flawless for sending and receiving MIDI between Ableton and iPad apps. You simply plug your iPad in to your computer with the included cable (lightning > USB.) The same company also offers Studio MUX, which can receive audio through the cable as well. Here is the link: http://midimux.com
Moogs: Voyager, Sub Phatty, Mother-32, DFAM, MF103 Phaser, MF104M Delay, MF105M MuRF, MF107 FreqBox, MF108M Cluster Flux
Music: http://soundcloud.com/conspiracytherapist
Computer: MacBook Pro, Ableton Live 9 + Push 1

OneLittleFonzie

Re: Model 15 as external instrument in Ableton

Post by OneLittleFonzie » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:55 am

I use STUDIOMUX too. It is very stable and cheap. A bit hard to configure in the beginning.

What most OSX users don't is that you can connect the IPAD to the Mac with the normal cable and that you can enable the IOS device as external sound card. It will show up as input in Live (or any other DAW).