Best Midi Keyboard for Model 15 App?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Quasbo

Best Midi Keyboard for Model 15 App?

Post by Quasbo » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Hi everyone, apologies if this topic already exists. Does anyone have any experience hooking up a midi keyboard to the Model 15 app? What works, what doesn't? It would be way way WAY cool if someone developed a keyboard specifically for this app! Thanks.
In order of purchase:
Theremini
Mother-32
Cluster Flux
MF Delay
MF Drive
MF Boost

Oh...and all the apps. Somebody stop me!

_DemonDan_

Re: Best Midi Keyboard for Model 15 App?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:38 am

Quasbo wrote:Does anyone have any experience hooking up a MIDI keyboard to the Model 15 app?
Hi Quasbo,

My hands-down favorite controller for the Moog Model 15 App is the Korg microKEY AIR- 61:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/microKAIR61

Yes, it has smaller keys, but the ability to have a full 5 Octaves with no wires at all (it's Bluetooth, and Battery powered) means that I can take my iPhone or iPad anywhere, along with a Bluetooth stereo speaker (like the iLoud or Bose SoundLink I, II, or III) and have a serious polyphonic synthesis rig on my motorcycle backpack.

Having Bluetooth for both the keyboard and the speaker means that nothing is going to yank my iOS device to the ground. And, it also means that my Lightning port and headphone jack are free for other things, including charging and inputting other instruments like guitar.

I'm shooting a video for the microKEY in the next few days.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

blue_heron

Post by blue_heron » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:06 am

I have an Edirol PCR 300, that's a small keyboard which also has knobs and sliders and pads.

The Edirol is configurable so you can define which control (knob, slider, pad, key) sends which Midi signal.
There are some presets that are ok with Model 15's Midi learn function,
This works for performance with a limited set of controls.

The problem starts when you load a preset in Model 15.
The PCR potentiometers keep their positions and when you touch them you get a value jump (setting in the app vs. real potentiometer).

Another option is something like the Behringer BCR 2000, a controller with rotary dials that can be set to a position/value.
When you change a value in Model 15 you can see the same value on the according knob on the BCR.
Problem: when you load a preset in Model 15, the app should send ALL values for all assigned controls - but it doesn't.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:55 am

Teenage Engineering's OP-1 seems to work fine. You can set the encoders to relative or absolute values too. I tried it with Animoog as well and it works too
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38 am

_DemonDan_ wrote: My hands-down favorite controller for the Moog Model 15 App is the Korg microKEY AIR- 61:

Yes, it has smaller keys, but the ability to have a full 5 Octaves with no wires at all (it's Bluetooth, and Battery powered) means that I can take my iPhone or iPad anywhere, along with a Bluetooth stereo speaker (like the iLoud or Bose SoundLink I, II, or III) and have a serious polyphonic synthesis rig on my motorcycle backpack.

Having Bluetooth for both the keyboard and the speaker means that nothing is going to yank my iOS device to the ground. And, it also means that my Lightning port and headphone jack are free for other things, including charging and inputting other instruments like guitar.
Here's the demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkZ11OcFj14

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 am

How much of a delay is there with a Bluetooth keyboard? Is it noticeable at all? I was considering getting a camera converter to avoid that if got a keyboard for a portable rig.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:30 pm

MaxFerency wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 amHow much of a delay is there with a Bluetooth keyboard? Is it noticeable at all? I was considering getting a camera converter to avoid that if got a keyboard for a portable rig.
There isn't enough to bother me. The main reason is that it's only MIDI that's being Bluetoothed, not audio, which needs much more bandwidth and has a lot more latency.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:44 pm

Ah ok, that makes sense and is good to know. Too bad most phones don't have headphone jacks anymore. :cry:
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

piper

Post by piper » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:42 am

It seems like Moog is missing a great opportunity by not having a template for the Sub 37.

AnimalbeatsII

Post by AnimalbeatsII » Mon May 11, 2020 5:54 pm

Seabaords, good but expensive

CaptCocoNutt_DZL_620

Post by CaptCocoNutt_DZL_620 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:01 am

That’s it? Nothing else here? I’m about to get the Arturia MK II Mini and it seems to pair with almost anything but I’m still concerned. Has anyone tried anything else other than the Korg or that’s not Bluetooth through the USB-A/C?