Massive Animoog problem - features missing in new updates?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Submarine

Massive Animoog problem - features missing in new updates?

Post by Submarine » Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm

Hi

I'm pretty sure the problem I have is caused by one of the recent Animoog updates...

The thing is, I want to complete an old track which I started 2 years ago or so. It relies on the Animoog keyboard sending exactly the controller data needed to play back everything as it was entered. To be exact, it contains long slides over 2 octaves while holding the same note.

With versions from 2 years ago I remember having timing problems while doing this. The data recorded into Cubase was always off for several notes (since separate notes are recorded (but not triggered separately) even when holding a long note if you slide over the keyboard), so I spent a long time fixing the MIDI that but never really got it right.

Then some time last year there was an update which caught my attention since it promised Animoog could now handle large amounts of controller data better. And indeed, I could finally record MIDI from they keyboard without timing problems!

Unfortunately I didn't have the time to do the real finals (improvisations, slight variations) back then but I was really happy to see that fixed.

Now I finally wanted to do those final recordings. But instead spent 2 evenings just to find out the controller data sent from Animoog keyboard is further than ever from what I hear in the synth itself. When playing back the MIDI recording I hear stuck notes, the controller movement is abrupt, not smooth at all. To put it short, it sounds quite catastrophic. :wink:

To rule out Cubase desktop as culprit, I also tried Cubasis - exactly the same messy result unfortunately.

When checking old MIDI recordings I found out that the controller types sent when sliding over they keys have changed apparently (some seem to be gone), so I wonder if something is broken or if it's intentional.

Maybe someone could do a simple test to confirm this - just record, hold a note, slide over 2 octaves, and check if the MIDI recording sounds the same. As it looks now, I'll not be able to ever complete this track, except by recording audio only. But this would take me a long time to get right, since I'm no keyboarder... :wink:

Thanks for any hints!

hmtx

Re: Massive Animoog problem - features missing in new update

Post by hmtx » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:18 am

Hi, sorry to hear about this, very frustrating.

I have just discovered that Auria Pro can record and play back exact MIDI data from Animoog. It accurately reproduces multi-octave glides, polyphonic aftertouch, velocity, etc. I was really happy to see this working.

Not sure if that is good news or bad news for you. Animoog seems to be working fine for me.

I don't have Cubasis to do a comparison, but Cubasis may be handling the MIDI incorrectly.

Submarine

Post by Submarine » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I didn't expect Cubase and Cubasis could be the reason, but I will try with another DAW to rule that out and then report back. I did in fact upgrade Cubase since I last worked on the project, and Cubase 8.5 and Cubasis iOS probably share the same foundation.

Satri

Post by Satri » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:07 pm

I have just discovered that Auria Pro can record and play back exact MIDI data from Animoog. It accurately reproduces multi-octave glides, polyphonic aftertouch, velocity, etc. I was really happy to see this working.
@hmtx, I've been looking for years for a DAW that fully supports Animoog's MIDI recording and playback. Have you played enough with it to somehow confirm that Auria Pro can properly record and playback Animoog's MIDI polypressure, multi-glide octaves and the like all at the same time? If so, I'm buying it right away!

Thanks for your feedback -- Alex / Satri at Animoog.org
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

hmtx

Post by hmtx » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:55 pm

Satri wrote:
@hmtx, I've been looking for years for a DAW that fully supports Animoog's MIDI recording and playback. Have you played enough with it to somehow confirm that Auria Pro can properly record and playback Animoog's MIDI polypressure, multi-glide octaves and the like all at the same time? If so, I'm buying it right away!

Thanks for your feedback -- Alex / Satri at Animoog.org
Satri, yes I have been thinking the same thing! I still have to test some more to be sure. Auria Pro is the version that includes MIDI, so at $50 it is not a small investment (in iOS terms) but If you can wait till next weekend I can record a video and let you see for yourself. ;)

Cheers.

Satri

Post by Satri » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Thanks @hmtx!

After reading your initial post, I asked on the Facebook iPad Musicians group and another nice fellow Auria Pro user made a quick video that seems to confirm it does indeed work properly. While I did not have the time to test Auria Pro myself, I did purchase it and it's installed on my iPad now. I hope to learn Auria Pro's basics and make tests myself over the coming weeks.

That said, if you do proceed to do your own tests, I'm interested! :-) Thanks a lot hmtx, I'm so happy I probably have found -thanks to you- a way to properly record Animoog in MIDI directly on the iPad! Sincere regards -- Alex / Satri
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri