Got Panel-Based M15 Questions?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
_DemonDan_

Got Panel-Based M15 Questions?

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu May 12, 2016 10:54 am

Hi Gang,

I'm happy to field questions pertaining to patching the M15 modules for desired results.

There are certainly better people to answer any I/O, iOS, AudioBridge, AudioShare, DAW, etc., questions.

But if it's a question about connecting/tweaking what's on the main page, try me... I'll help as I can.

(I've put a lot of hours on this app.)
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

blue_heron

Re: Got Panel-Based M15 Questions?

Post by blue_heron » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:15 am

That's a great idea! It's weird that nobody seems to have questions.

I'm looking for a tutorial that explains the use of these "trigger" connections.
Thank you :)

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:25 pm

blue_heron wrote:I'm looking for a tutorial that explains the use of these "trigger" connections.
Hi blue_heron,

On the Moog Model 15 App, the triggers are used to cause the 911 ENVELOPE GENERATORS to fire when KEYS (or ARP) starts a note.

Since that is almost always how you want this connected, there is a blue shortcut switch called CONTROLS TO ENVELOPES which automatically connects the the triggers from the KEYS and ARP to both of the ENVELOPEs' Trigger Input. If this blue switch is in the ON position, you typically don't need to do anything else with Triggers, unless you want the RIBBON to be the source of triggering.

If you turn the blue CONTROLS TO ENVELOPES switch OFF, you would then have to manually connect gray Trigger cables from TRIGGER Outs on the CONTROLLER OUTPUTS panel to the ENVELOPEs.

The three, horizontal TRIGGER Outs at the top of the CONTROLLER OUTPUTS panel send a trigger when you play the KEYS or when the ARP plays a note.

The two vertical Triggers (next to RIBBON MAIN and RIBBON AUX) on the CONTROLLER OUTPUTS panel each send a trigger when you press the light gray Trigger strip (that spans horizontally through the center of the RIBBON CONTROLLER). This sends a trigger from both the RIBBON MAIN and RIBBON AUX Trigger jacks. This would let you fire off one or both of the ENVELOPEs by touching the light gray strip.

Hope this helps.

blue_heron

Post by blue_heron » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:26 pm

Ah, I see.
No wonder I couldn't hear a difference, I had them always on :)

What's the difference between "Attenuators" and the Amplifiers?
In one tutorial I heard that of the two outputs of the amplifier the lower one is reversed. Is that true? What about the inputs?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:37 am

ATTENUATORs can only cut an audio or control signal.

AMPLIFIERs can boost or cut an audio or control signal. Some Amplifier Output jacks are phase inverted.

REVERSIBLE ATTENUATORs can cut and/or phase invert an audio or control signal.

Some phase inverted output jacks are marked; most are not:

The VOLTAGE CONTROLLED AMPLIFIERs have (2) SIGNAL OUTPUT jacks. The upper jack is - and the lower jack is +.

The 921 OSCILLATOR has (2) AUXILLIARY OUTPUT jacks with the left jack + and the right jack -.

The MIXER has (2) OUTPUT jacks + and (2) - jacks that are marked.

If you inspect any of my PSYCHOTROPIC SYNTHESIS patches, you'll find extensive use of phase inversion on both audio and control signals that conjur many of their stereo effects.

blue_heron

Post by blue_heron » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:12 pm

On the 921 oscillator what is "Clamping Point" and "Clamp Trig." input good for?
The manual talks about interesting effects.

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:25 pm

blue_heron wrote:On the 921 OSCILLATOR what are the CLAMPING POINT and CLAMP TRIG inputs good for?
There is a current tread about this in the Modular Forum:

http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25545

This video was recommended on that thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6z1lX4q_wc

But it doesn't show Clamping until after 3:00.

blue_heron

Post by blue_heron » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:22 pm

There are patches where e.g. an OSC is driving time and/or feedback and/or mix of the delay effect.
Sometimes there is a weird "reverse stereo" effect (cool).

What is time/feedback/mix doing?
What happens (technically) when I drive it with an OSC or with the output after the VCF?

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:58 am

blue_heron wrote:What is TIME/FEEDBACK/MIX doing?
What happens (technically) when I drive it with an OSC or with the output after the VCF?
Like most CV Inputs that have the same name as a nearby knob, a control voltage will modulate the current value of the knob.

So, if you connect one of the MODULATION CV Output jacks (on the CONTROLLER OUTPUTS panel) to the TIME CV Input jack, you'll be able to change the Delay Time with the Mod Wheel. (Set TIME and FEEDBACK to 5, and MIX to 10 to easily hear this.)

Move the cable from TIME to FEEDBACK and you'll now have Mod Wheel control over the Feedback amount.

Move the cable from FEEDBACK to MIX and you'll now have Mod Wheel control over the Wet/Dry Mix amount.

If you send an LFO to those CV Inputs, you'll get slow modulations of Time (Chorus), Feedback, or Wet/Dry Mix levels.

If you send "audio speed" control voltages to those parameters, you'll get all kinds of complex modulations that can sound like Ring Modulation, or FM.

Putting a VCA (with a controlling Envelope) in between an audio rate modulation source and let's say, the TIME CV Input, will allow you to create a dynamic effect that repeats with each key strike.