Root folder contains copies of all presets!?!

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
p8guitar

Root folder contains copies of all presets!?!

Post by p8guitar » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 am

I noticed today that Animoog's root folder contains copies of all factory presets. Is this normal?
First I thought that the presets in the root folder with the same name like the ones in the categories folders are just links. But they are real copies, so when you change for example the ClavierSampleHold preset in the root folder, it is different from the ClavierSampleHold preset in the keys categorie.

I also see copies of the R.Devine expansion pack presets in the root folder, but no copies of the vintage fx presets.

By the way - what is the best practice to migrate your presets? I want to copy my Animoog presets from my old ipad 2 to my ipad air 2.
I would copy the presets folder with ifunbox, but maybe there is a better way?

Satri

Re: Root folder contains copies of all presets!?!

Post by Satri » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:39 pm

Hi p8guitar,

I haven't tried to fully understand how the app deals with the presets and timbres, especially the non-IAP ones (in-app purchase). It would be immensely appreciated if Moog was to provide a mean to deal with them, especially since there are plenty of excellent unofficial sources of additional presets (see http://animoog.org/database/expansion-packs/ ). For now, it appears we're forced to using ifunbox..

A better way to manage custom presets is already in my Animoog wish list (http://animoog.org/playing/wish-list/ ), I can only hope Moog will have the resources to address such improvements eventually.

Take care -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

p8guitar

Post by p8guitar » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi Alex,

do you also have this double presets? I'd like to find out if this is normal, or a mistake that was introduced with an update.

Peter

Satri

Post by Satri » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:53 am

Hi Peter, I just plugged in my iPad for you (something I haven't done in months)... here's the result;

I have plenty of preset copies in my /tmp/__MACOSX/presets/ folder. Should they be there in a /tmp/ folder? Not sure. Looks suspicious.

I have plenty of wav samples in several /Library/Caches/ subfolders. Should they be there under a 'Caches' folder? Not sure, looks suspicious too.

My presets appear to be in the /Documents/presets/ folder. That probably is be the proper location for presets. However, as far as I can tell, many of my Animoog presets broke after one of the Fall 2014 updates. I haven't tried to fix that yet.

As far as I know, Moog doesn't provide official means for us, the Animoog enthusiasts, to install and manage custom presets. I hope that's on their roadmap.

Hope this helps you Peter -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

Satri

Post by Satri » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 am

A bit more info. Interesting, the structure has changed since last time I looked a few months ago.

Unless I'm mistaken, the timbres are now all in the /Library/Caches/categories folder... is this the same for you?

And no, I don't have duplicates of presets (other than the copies in the/tmp/ folder, see my previous reply).

Ah... if I had more time, I'd gladly document this thoroughly... hope this helps -- Alex

SZak

Post by SZak » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Satri wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, the timbres are now all in the /Library/Caches/categories folder... is this the same for you?
Same for me on all my iPads (iPad mini 2, iPad 4, iPad Air 2). Having these timbres sitting in the Caches folder is like shooting yourself in the foot, anytime you want to restore your iPad from a backup or if you run an app that "cleans" your device's storage. Because the timbres sit in a Caches folder, they will be wiped out when either of the two scenarios I mentioned above are performed. I have all my timbres backed up to HDD and have to restore them whenever I restore my iPads or mistakenly run one of these cleaning apps.

Why Moog chose to put timbres in this folder is beyond comprehension. Timbres are NOT stored in the caches folder on the iPhone app, only on the iPad app. Why is this? Maybe Moog can answer because I sure don't get it. I'm tired of having to restore my timbres manually using iFunBox (or otherwise).