MIDI control question (Yamaha WX5 specifically)

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
v8media

MIDI control question (Yamaha WX5 specifically)

Post by v8media » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:25 pm

I've just been playing around with Animoog using a Yamaha WX5 sax controller. It's pretty great. However, I haven't figured out a way to do a couple things.

One is that I'm thinking it could make sense to try using the breath sensor output to control both volume AND something like frequency maybe? It doesn't appear like it's possible to control two settings at the same time with on cc? Is that correct? I not, that could be a great added feature, both for what I'm trying to do, as well as to be able to have one knob or slider control two different aspects of the synth at one time.

2nd is that I haven't yet figured out a way to have the lip sensor do anything. I believe it only sends it's data while you are blowing, which means I can't map it, as Animoog only sees this as being the breath sensor control. I also haven't found if the lip sensor has a default cc. I'll respond back to this if I figure out that part of it. Suggestions though on how to map something that only gets output while the not is playing?

I'm currently using my WX5 with Animoog sending the audio out to my Moog MF-101 Lowpass Filter Moogerfooger pedal and only having the breath sensor affecting volume in Animoog. This way the audio that goes through the lowpass filter gets affected by the volume and it then changes the way it sounds when I play at different volumes. It's quite expressive even without the above, but it would be great to not need an external box to make it this expressive, and I'm really curious what adding the lip sensor to the setup would do.

Thanks!

Pugilistas

Re: MIDI control question (Yamaha WX5 specifically)

Post by Pugilistas » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:10 pm

I run a bunch of iPad apps with an EWI Usb (My venerable WX11 developed key issues). Ran across the same issue with Animoog. One CC destination per control. Really limiting factor. But then I have found the Moog midi implementation to be spotty, both hardware and software. Though this is an issue with a ton of ios synth apps, they seem to have a tremendously limited scope and conception. Leads me to prefer the complex control of Thor a lot of the time. Shame, since Animoog is a tremendous synthesizer.

v8media

Post by v8media » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:38 am

Ooh, hadn't seen Thor yet. Are there any particular setup options for the EWI that you would recommend?

v8media

Post by v8media » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:18 pm

More thoughts on Animoog with the Yamaha WX5.

It would be really useful to be able to change the range that a CC is in control of. For example, if I were controlling filter frequency with breath control, I might want the low end of my control to start at 25% and peak around 90%. Or potentially to control this in reverse, i.e. more pressure equals a lower value. It seems a great place for this type of setting would be when you long tap while mapping CCs. I know that would add complexity to the software, but it would make for some amazing control.

I've tried Thor and it's pretty great.

martygras

Post by martygras » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:57 pm

In regards to the question about send a single cc to multiple destinations, this can be done with an app called Midiflow. It's similar to audiobus but it handles midi instead.

v8media

Post by v8media » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks! Will definitely check out Midiflow.

Besides Animoog, I've also been using my WX5 to control my 1975 Minimoog! It's really nice. I've got the Expert Sleepers Silent Way ES-3 sending out control voltage to my Minimoog for pitch, gate, filter, and volume. Sometimes I'll use breath to control feedback or drive on a MF-104M Delay over MIDI routed through the DAW. So good. Quite a bit bigger than an iOS device though.

Ardellcode

MIDI control question Yamaha WX5 specifically

Post by Ardellcode » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:18 pm

Thanks Curt,

Read/write...........duh, of course, I cant believe I even asked that question considering Im in IT, I should have figured that out.

The only thing I dont see is the ability to control my DC Jebao power heads ?