Timbres and Patch Sharing

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
ZenLizard

Timbres and Patch Sharing

Post by ZenLizard » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:33 pm

I have no idea what search terms to enter to find this, so please accept my sincere apology if this has already been answered.

What happens when patches are shared which are made with IAP timbres, and the receiving user has not purchased the timbre pack that was used? Will the patches work? Will they sound correct, or will the timbres be substituted with default timbre(s)?

Satri

Re: Timbres and Patch Sharing

Post by Satri » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:37 am

I'm not sure if I understand your question properly. If you install presets for which you don't have all the required timbres, then yes, they will not "sound correct". Unless I'm mistaken, they are not substituted by 'default' timbres, there is no such thing as 'default timbres' in Animoog. That's my current understanding and I might be fully wrong :-)

Presets and timbres for Animoog are usually pretty cheap, so why not simply buy the package you're interested in?

Good luck! -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

ZenLizard

Post by ZenLizard » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:34 am

I own all the available IAP timbres. I make banks for other people, so my comcern was that they would end up with altered patches or errors if they don't have the same timbres I do.

Animoog comes with a set of default timbres... the ones that come with the app.

I did some experimenting yesterday on another iPad and found out that if a patch requires timbres that are not available, a "timbre missing" message is displayed next to the missing timbres, but the patch still works, so the timbres are being substituted if they are not transferred with the patch.

I don't know yet if the sound of those patches is altered. I did not get a chance to do a side by side comparison with the borrowed iPad.

There are several possible approaches to missing timbres. One would be to render the patches inoperable, and the second would be to allow the timbre to be transfererd along with the patch (nave does this), but restrict that timbre from being used in other patches if the receiving user hasn't purchased it. The third would be to substitute the missing timbre with one of the default timbres. Since Animoog derives its audio from the timbres, It has to be either substituting or transferring timbres, or the missing timbres would produce silence.

Satri

Post by Satri » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:41 pm

If I'm not mistaken, patches with missing timbres will just not play silence for the missing timbres. Since patches are made of several timbres, it means the patch will still make sound, just not the full sound you'd hear if the user had all the required timbres. If I'm wrong (I might well be, I have very little experience with timbres), please just correct me! :-)

The banks you make for other people, are they free? For sale? Color me interested :-) Thanks! -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

ZenLizard

Post by ZenLizard » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:05 pm

Silence within a given patch depends on the path and orbit settings. If you look through the timbre list you will find one called "silence", and if you insert silence into a couple of the slots, you will only hear a difference if the path and/or orbit passes through them on the oscilloscope screen. Each row of the oscilloscope represents the corresponding timbre in the timbre list, top to bottom. Each timbre is just a short audio loop.

So... a horizontal path only plays within one loop, while a vertical path morphs between loops. As a result, a missing timbre may or may not affect the resulting sound, and that would depend on what Animoog actually does when a timbre is missing. I can think of several possibilities, but I have not had time to test Animoog on an iPad that doesn't have the IAPs. I'll do that Saturday.

To answer your question, I have iOS synth patch banks for free and for sale at synthpatcher.com, and some are included with the synths (iVCS 3, for example), but this will be the first Animoog bank that I will release. It will be free. It should be available early next week. I think there are some other Animoog banks by other sound designers that are currently available at synthpatcher, but don't quote me on that, I'm not sure.

Satri

Post by Satri » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:44 pm

ZenLizard wrote:To answer your question, I have iOS synth patch banks for free and for sale at synthpatcher.com, and some are included with the synths (iVCS 3, for example), but this will be the first Animoog bank that I will release. It will be free. It should be available early next week. I think there are some other Animoog banks by other sound designers that are currently available at synthpatcher, but don't quote me on that, I'm not sure.
Hi ZenLizard,

I'm just back from a few weeks camping with wife & daughters. Thanks a lot for your excellent explanation of how timbres work within Animoog. Regarding your upcoming contributions, I searched again on synthpatcher and haven't found your new Animoog presets yet. I'm very interested by those (even if they are sold a few bucks). I'm compiling a list of Animoog presets (to be completed and announced soon). http://animoog.org/database/expansion-packs/

Thanks ZenLizard! -- Alex

ZenLizard

Post by ZenLizard » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:13 pm

I'm sorry about that. I will remind our administrator to get those patches posted. I sent the bank to him several weeks ago.

ZenLizard

Post by ZenLizard » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:39 pm

The bank is up now. I still don't know if the patches will sound as intended without the expansion packs, but the patches WILL play even without them, and the bank is free for members and non-members alike, so there is nothing to lose by downloading it.

Satri

Post by Satri » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:11 am

Thanks a lot Zen Lizard! I downloaded your presets (I haven't had the time to play with them yet... tonight?). I announced your work on Animoog.org: http://animoog.org/2014/08/09/altermoog ... e-presets/

Take care :-) -- Alex

Satri

Post by Satri » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:29 pm

ZenLizard wrote:The bank is up now.
Thanks again. Quickly took a look at your presets after the kids went to bed. Generally good and some pretty interesting ones (such an opinion is obviously subjective!). I recorded one take (not a really good one though) with your 'Binding Bigfoot' preset, here it is: http://animoog.org/?attachment_id=303 Take care and please continue sharing presets if you create more of those! -- Alex

ZenLizard

Post by ZenLizard » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:50 pm

I will let you know when the next Animoog bank is posted, whether or not it's one of mine. I will probably post another one myself in a couple of months.

I feel like I should explain the patch names in Altermoog: I've created so many patches for so many different synths now that it is getting hard to come up with names, so for Altermoog I just named each patch after whatever my wife was watching on TV when I finished it.