upcoming iOS 7 and audio - don't update

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
nuno

upcoming iOS 7 and audio - don't update

Post by nuno » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:37 am

Audiobus sent a newsletter today warning that the upcoming iOS 7 update is very buggy on the audio department.
Hi folks,

We're on the cusp of iOS 7, and we're here to urge caution: If you rely on music apps, please don't update yet.

iOS 7 audio is not ready. There are a wide variety of bugs that are causing performance problems, crashes and other problems in a large number of music apps.

This may change in the future, but until we see a few point releases for the OS, we strongly urge you to stick with iOS 6.

Cheers,
The Audiobus Team
the newsletter also linked to the Audiobus forum with a lot more discussion on the matter:
http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1999/ ... ios-7-wait

Bald Eagle

Re: upcoming iOS 7 and audio - don't update

Post by Bald Eagle » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:14 am

Korg's iMS20 crashes on iOS 7. I don't know about Animoog or any others but it sounds like upgrading to iOS 7 is not a good choice for musicians at this time.

Satri

Post by Satri » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:01 pm

This is pretty major! If anyone can confirm whether or not Animoog works on iOS 7, that would be really helpful! Thanks -- Alex
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Satri wrote:This is pretty major! If anyone can confirm whether or not Animoog works on iOS 7, that would be really helpful! Thanks -- Alex
The first posts states pretty clearly that updating to iOS 7 is NOT recommended at this time due to some possible bugs ~
and that comes straight from the developers of Audiobus.

So, while Animoog might seemingly "work" as iOS 7 first releases, there seems to be plenty of reason to wait until all the iOS 7 bugs are worked out...
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

Satri

Post by Satri » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Yeah, but Audiobus is not Animoog. If I don't use Audiobus within Animoog, is Animoog going to still work fine? That's what I'm wondering :-)
Animoog Beta Tester | Free albums of Animoog & Model 15 solos on animoog.org/satri/ | satri.bandcamp.com | Theremini | ROLI Seaboard RISE 49 | iPad Pro 12,9" | Alex / Satri

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

I really think that the statement from the developers at Audiobus was mean to apply to ALL iOS music apps, not just Audiobus.
Since the their technology is being implemented (somewhat) in the iOS 7 upgrade, I have a pretty strong feeling they know what they're talking about.

That, and the fact that Apple has a bit of a history breaking existing apps (the 4x to 6x transition period was UGLY!!), is enough for me to wait.
(We had a saying when I was growing up - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it")

But, to each his own.
Good luck if you decide to be one of the early iOS 7 adopters -
please keep us posted!! :)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

nuno

Post by nuno » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:51 pm

Satri wrote:Yeah, but Audiobus is not Animoog. If I don't use Audiobus within Animoog, is Animoog going to still work fine? That's what I'm wondering :-)
If you read the link posted above, you'll realize it's not limited to Audiobus apps. It's general. iOS 7, according to various devs, is not stable for music apps.

Hope that helps 8)

EDIT: I see Stuka beat me to it. :)

Satri

Post by Satri » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:20 pm

Ok... Thanks a lot, you win... I'll wait. I can't believe I'm not moving to iOS 7 on first day... I guess it shows how much I love Animoog ! :-)

nuno

Post by nuno » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:17 am

Hardly. iOS is the platform for music app devs. I'm sure Moog knows how to keep tapping that source in the near future.

If an app is stable and doesn't need any updates it doesn't mean it's abandoned.

Higher spec-ed devices will emerge (rumoured to be this year), expect higher spec-ed developments from Moog apps to match. An expanded modulation matrix would be a nice add-on for Animoog, as would be increased polyphony (number of voices set by the user) maybe as in-app purchases (I would happily pay for these if priced affordable, :) wink wink nod nod Moog :wink: )

Guest wrote:I think Moog have shifted focus away from ios so I doubt we will see any future updates and may see their apps stuck in ios 6 :(

Satri

Post by Satri » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 am

Hi Dave, what makes you say this? Your impression or information provided by Moog?

I hope you're wrong, I'm a big fan of Animoog and clearly, tablets aren't going to disappear anytime soon, on the contrary! -- Alex

EDIT: ah! Nuno was a bit faster at replying than I was :-)

angelcotallo

Post by angelcotallo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:59 pm

This has been published in Animoog Facebook

IOS 7 is here, but many audio applications are experiencing stability issues.

If you are using Animoog, #Filtatron, or other audio applications it is recommended that you wait until these issues are addressed before upgrading. After being upgraded to iOS 7 an iOS device cannot be brought back to iOS6.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:51 am

angelcotallo wrote:After being upgraded to iOS 7 an iOS device cannot be brought back to iOS6.
It is possible to revert back to iOS 6 after a failed iOS 7 experience. It's not a pleasant downgrade so don't go to iOS 7 in the first place.

You will loose everything in the downgrade process so backup everything and be prepared to reinstall all apps from scratch. it's a factory reset on steroids.

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Sad we are into october and still my animoog doesn't work on my iPhone.

nuno

Post by nuno » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 am

Bertotti wrote:Sad we are into october and still my animoog doesn't work on my iPhone.
No sure if Moog Music reads all these threads. It would be wiser if you also emailed support to voice your discontent. :)