Best MIDI interface for Ipad

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
redeyeflight

Best MIDI interface for Ipad

Post by redeyeflight » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:49 pm

I've had a ton of fun playing around with the Animoog on my Ipad 2 and I'm ready finally to take the plunge and start integrating the animoog on my ipad 2 into my live setup. I have an M-Audio Axiom 25 Keyboard which has both USB and MIDI and I'm hoping to get some advice on what would be the best Ipad 2 to MIDI and/or USB interface for the animoog/Ipad 2? It would need to work obviously but more importantly be able to withstand the rigors of live playing not just a controlled recording environment. Thanks in advance!

Stuka

Re: Best MIDI interface for Ipad

Post by Stuka » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Recommend the Alesis iO Dock -

Works great with the iPad 2, provides conventional MIDI, audio in/out, and USB-to-PC connections, securely holds the iPad and acts as a desktop stand, recharges the iPad while in use, and doesn't rely on fragile adapter cables attached via the 30-pin connector.

While it isn't made to attach to a microhone stand, the overall footprint is only slightly larger than the iPad itself, so a lot of desktop space isn't really required.

Really like mine! 8)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

misterpete

Post by misterpete » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks for posting!~ This looks totally cool! ~ the other options I have tried, the apple connector kit and yamaha are quite delicate and it's easy to lose the physical MIDI connection, which is a major drag!
This thing is a whole other world, very solid looking ~ but it's more than just a MIDI connector- it has audio ins AND outs, too ~ before seeing this, i wasn't sure how that was supposed to work with just a headphone jack on the iPad... but with this gadget, Filtatron really should work like a Moogerfooger, yes?

Stuka wrote:Recommend the Alesis iO Dock -

Works great with the iPad 2, provides conventional MIDI, audio in/out, and USB-to-PC connections, securely holds the iPad and acts as a desktop stand, recharges the iPad while in use, and doesn't rely on fragile adapter cables attached via the 30-pin connector.

While it isn't made to attach to a microhone stand, the overall footprint is only slightly larger than the iPad itself, so a lot of desktop space isn't really required.

Really like mine! 8)
Please Call Me, PETE
https://petedako.bandcamp.com/music
"Mr. Pete" at ModWiggler @petedako on Twitter,
Bandcamp & all the other platforms :D

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:07 am

Yep, works GREAT with Filtatron!

I'm running a pair of FX sends from my audio mixer to the iO Dock audio in, and the iO Dock audio out to a stereo input pair back into the mixer.

With the built-in preamp on the iO Dock, the audio path is actually pretty clean, and the sound quality is VERY good!

The only real drawback is the Filtatron only displays in "portrait" mode on the iPad, and the iO Dock is really built to work in "landscape" mode - but I can live with that ~ for now :)

Mooger Fooger on an iPad!! 8)
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

reidjazz

Post by reidjazz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:58 am

Stuka wrote:Yep, works GREAT with Filtatron!

I'm running a pair of FX sends from my audio mixer to the iO Dock audio in, and the iO Dock audio out to a stereo input pair back into the mixer.

With the built-in preamp on the iO Dock, the audio path is actually pretty clean, and the sound quality is VERY good!

The only real drawback is the Filtatron only displays in "portrait" mode on the iPad, and the iO Dock is really built to work in "landscape" mode - but I can live with that ~ for now :)

Mooger Fooger on an iPad!! 8)
Stuka,
I've been interested in the IODock ever since they were released but have heard about so many audio problems that I forgot about it. Have they got these all worked out?

Reidjazz

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:42 am

I believe the iO Dock audio issues were addressed in the firmware update that came out to support iOS 5x and later.
(Also, from what I understand from reading about the issues online, the most recent problems ~ spring of last year ~ were probably caused more by the initial iOS 5x update than by problems with the iO Dock itself)

While I'll admit I haven't used my Dock a lot - yet :wink: - I performed the firmware update as soon as I got mine this past spring, along with all the iOS updates for my iPad 2, and so far I haven't had any issues with any of the apps I've used it with.

Of interest here, Animoog and Filtatron both work great for me - and sound INCREDIBLE running through an external sound system!! :)

Randy

reidjazz

Post by reidjazz » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:29 pm

Stuka wrote:I believe the iO Dock audio issues were addressed in the firmware update that came out to support iOS 5x and later.
(Also, from what I understand from reading about the issues online, the most recent problems ~ spring of last year ~ were probably caused more by the initial iOS 5x update than by problems with the iO Dock itself)

While I'll admit I haven't used my Dock a lot - yet :wink: - I performed the firmware update as soon as I got mine this past spring, along with all the iOS updates for my iPad 2, and so far I haven't had any issues with any of the apps I've used it with.

Of interest here, Animoog and Filtatron both work great for me - and sound INCREDIBLE running through an external sound system!! :)

Randy
Thank you for the confidence boost...it may be in my future!

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's nice to know that they have fixed the issues with the i/o dock as I heard a lot about how it was basically useless after the ios update. I'll be looking around for one...certainly does seem to be the best and more durable option for playing live! Have you used the animoog with it and no problems? Anyone use any of the korg apps with it?

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:08 pm

iO Dock MIDI and audio work fine for me with Alchemy, Animoog, Magellan, NLog PRO, Sunrizer, iMS-20, iPolysix,... :)

BTW, Guitar Center has the black model (with the iPad 2 insert) for $168...

redeyeflight

Post by redeyeflight » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Excellent to hear Stuka, thanks again for the info. I have one on the way and hopefully should have things up and running by the weekend. Ill report back later.

Stuka

Post by Stuka » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:16 pm

No problem - sounds like it will be a good fit for you!

Watch the output volume levels, especially on the headphone jack -
The preamps are REALLY powerful!! :o 8)

Randy