Animoog Network Midi Connection refused..

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Davenham

Animoog Network Midi Connection refused..

Post by Davenham » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi all, I'm wondering if any of you can help me. I'm really struggling to get it working but I'm sure I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Every time I try to connect the network midi window to the iPad it comes back with the error "refused the connection"

It's very frustrating!

Spec:

iPad 1

Mac Pro 10.6.7

Thanks

ndebello

Re: Animoog Network Midi Connection refused..

Post by ndebello » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:50 pm

I apologize, but I don't understand your issue.

Are you trying to connect an iPad to a Mac?
Which interface are you using?
What is the "network midi window"?
Who "comes back with the error "refused the connection""?
What are you trying to do/achieve? Playing the Animoog from the Mac? Monitoring the MIDI connection?

Nick

method1

Post by method1 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:17 pm

I have the same problem, can't connect the ipad to network midi on the mac.
When i click connect i get the same error "IP ADRESS:5004 refused the connection request"

It does connect to my ipad that has os4, not to the ipad with os5, so my guess is maybe the os update has broken coremidi.

heathcarlisle

Post by heathcarlisle » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:10 pm

Same issue here, just upgraded the iPad to iOS 5.0.1. Found this thread on Apple support site, but it's still unresolved.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/35 ... 0&tstart=0

Zoomer

Post by Zoomer » Sun Dec 25, 2011 2:55 pm

I'm using Animoog iPod version, and I think there are two problems with the Networking implementation:

1. Animoog should never attempt to instantiate network connection without user intervention. There are currently different ways of working with multiple simultaneous apps in iOS (for example, using apps like MIDIBridge which can link hardware, software and WIFI MIDI ports, and have a more flexible and complete set of user adjustable parameters) and any app in this context that would attempt a non-user requested connection would likely create contention that would break the system.

2. Animoog has no user selectable parameters for networking: if the typical 5002 Core MIDI port is in use by another app, it will no doubt broken by Animoog's attempting a connection. Plus in a wider context, networking MIDI could be using multiple connection ports to different machines and it becomes necessary to manually specify networking parameters for everything to work smoothly.

So for my purposes, I would like to see Animoog default to networking "off" and allow the user to decide on connection options from an unconnected state. And of course, more user settable control over networking parameters would also be welcome.

Thanks!

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:59 am

Works for me. :? I have both my iPad and iPhone running Animoog and talking MIDI over my adhoc Mac Mini's WiFi network simultaneously to Live8 or Logic9 - and with almost zero latency.

I'm running iOS 5.01 on both devices, and on the Mac CoreMIDI.framework and CoreMIDIServer.framework v1.8 are running.

I'd attach a screenshot of my setup, but this server comes back with "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached."
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

method1

Post by method1 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:59 am

Weird.. I can't get it to work with 5.01 at all.. some official support from moog (or apple) would be nice…..

even a troubleshooting guide or faq…. anyone listening? :wink:

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:24 am

Here's a YouTube video I've just put up showing both devices running simultaneously with nary a cable attached - apart from power and audio of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz8XjqGLDJM

If I could attach screen shots here I would. :( (Mod???)
Sub 37 Tribute, Waldorf Blofeld, MF-104M SD, Axiom 25, UMX-610, Propellerhead Balance, Truth B1030A mons, MacBook Pro i7, Live 9, Logic 10, Animoog.

redsonics

Post by redsonics » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:38 pm

Anyone been able to figure this one out? I am also having the same issue and getting quite frustrated with it.

Specs:

MBP 2.66 Quad Core
OS X Lion 10.7.2
iPhone 4 - iOS 5.0.1

Both MBP and iPhone are connected to the same network and when I open the Network Icon in Audio MIDI the iPhone shows up in the devices list so I know the two are talking to each other. If I turn off the wifi on my iPhone, the phone disappears from the devices menu.

Amos

Post by Amos » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:09 pm

Hi, Amos from Moog here. My official support message at this time is:
"I am having the same problem." :oops:

I'm looking into this with Apple... I had thought that it was an iOS5.01 bug based on the same searches others in this thread have also done... but if somebody's got it working, then I'm not sure what the deal is.

My setup is MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.8, iPhone4 iOS5.0.1... had network MIDI working fine to my iPad when I was using my wifi router (macbook and iPad both talking to the router) but could not get it working directly from the MacBook to the iPhone using an ad-hoc network.

Omaroo, there's no router in your setup is there? Just ad-hoc from the Mac to the iDevice?

We'll get this...

also, Zoomer, thanks for your feedback! I'll see if we can make some improvements to the networking setup in future versions.

Cheers,

Amos

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:36 pm

I still maintain that I have no problem. I just physically turned off my AirPort hub to prove to myself that I was well and truly running in ad-hoc mode.

First, I created a brand new ad-hoc network on my MacMini workstation and called it "AdHoc1". In the network control panel I took note of the IP address it created temporarily.

Opening the MIDI Network Setup application and firstly created a new Directory (bottom window) and named it AdHoc1. I edited that entry by double-clicking on it and entered the IP address I noted down. I entered a port number two up from my other ad-hoc networks that I'd created previously and made this one use port 5008. I hit OK and then checked (selected) it in the list.

Secondly I created a new session (top window) and called it "Session 3" as I already had two other sessions running on ports 5004 and 5006 from before.

I chose the directory called "AdHoc1" and hit connect. It appeared in the right-hand box as a participant.

I then opened network prefs on both my phone and pad and joined the new ad-hoc network called "AdHoc1".

Back in the MIDI Network Setup I saw then then appear in the directory as being available devices. I chose each and hit "connect". Each appeared in the Participants list.

In Live 8 I then went to preferences and turned on both Track and Sync for for each of the new entries in the list that called themselves "Input: Network (Session 3)" and "Output: Network (Session 3)"

I set up a new MIDI track in Live 8 and selected my keyboard to supply MIDI From. I then chose "Network (Session 3)" for MIDI To.

Works like a charm.

Just to reiterate, my setup:

MacMini Core2Duo (2011) running 10.7.2 (OSX Lion)
iPhone4 on v5.0.1 (9A405)
iPad (orig) on v5.0.1 (9A405)

Amos - is there any way that you might get someone to increase space allocation to this board? It's still refusing to allow me to upload screenshots depicting what I've set up. :)

Cheers - I hope this describes my situation, which seems to work well despite your own observations. :?
Chris

method1

Post by method1 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Working perfectly on my os4 ipad.. but not on the 5.01 updated ipad and iphone.. very odd.

redsonics

Post by redsonics » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:34 pm

Thanks for that very informative post Omaroo! Unfortunately, even after following it step by step, still no luck. I thought I was on to something when you mentioned adding the local machine to the directory listing, but it still will not connect to the iPhone and shows connection refused.

Omaroo

Post by Omaroo » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:24 pm

I've uploaded a quick movie to YouTube explaining the process quickly, and to show you that iOS 5.01 certainly does work with Animoog over an ad-hoc network. Short of going into the phone's "about" menu and physically showing you the version to conform it, please take my word. Sorry about the quality of the video, I'd like to have done a direct screen capture via QuickTime Pro, but then you wouldn't see the phone running Animoog.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBUPT-CaFG0

Cheers
Chris

method1

Post by method1 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks for the video, I am using a router to connect to my mac pro, so no built-in wireless.
I'm wondering if everyone having this problem is also trying to connect through a router?

I've tried changing broadcast channels on the router, enabling/disabling wep key etc, no luck with 5.01, but it's working with os4.
I can see the device in audiomidi setup, but when i hit connect I get the "connection refused" error with the 5.01 devices.

Perhaps this is router related..