Filtatron sampler only plays back around 15s?

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
bristles

Re: Filtatron sampler only plays back around 15s?

Post by bristles » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Amos,

I'm on an iPad w/ iOS 4.2.1. I tried loading a couple of my own songs, wav formatted 16 bit as well as a couple of random songs from my iPod library (both wav and aac). My own songs made the app crash on the first attempt. I restarted the iPad and the import function would allow me to load the song and rename it but once I tried to load it in the sampler nothing happened. The two random songs from my iPod library did the same but when I attempted to load them the showed as a light blue bar in the sampler and wouldn't play.

I am very pleased that you guys fixed the sample playback length bug and pasting samples seems to work fine. Nice to have a moving cursor as well. Hopefully you guys will allow iPad users to zoom in on the waveform in the future. The note on future development is a bit unclear, will it become a universal app or are you guys going to make the iPad users buy another app?

Side note: I understand the "more info would be supremely helpful" sentiment and do hope that you or your partners will be visiting the forum more frequently. As great a surprise as this update was, i'd much prefer to get occasional responses to some of the posts here and not be left in the dark.

Thanks for the great work!

Aaron

Amos

Post by Amos » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Thanks Aaron! Point well taken about providing more incremental update info.

The plan for the "iPad version" is to convert the app to universal... There hasn't been any talk about charging extra for this.
As long as there are no technical problems with changing the app format while calling it an incremental update, then the next/universal version should appear as a free update, just as v1.1.0 did.

I'll look into the import crash behavior you're reporting; sounds like something we can fix. Out of curiosity, do you have any songs in your iPad library that were originally in mp3 format? I'm curious to know if these crash on import or if they work properly. The import function transcodes the file from its original format to WAV and saves a copy, so perhaps it's having problems transcoding from AAC, or with (needlessly) converting a file that is already a 16-bit WAV...

Thanks,

Amos

PS) happy new year!

bristles

Post by bristles » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi Amos,

I do have songs in my library that were originally mp3 format and one of those may very well be what I imported first and led to the initial crash. I'll have to get back to you about exactly which formats cause which results. Will try to get to it and get back to you before the drinking starts!

Happy New Year

bristles

Post by bristles » Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:29 am

I just loaded an mp3 and an aac and they both imported and worked fine. So I guess I'll make note of those songs which don't as I tweak, pull info on those files from my laptop and let you know their details.

tomoe97

Post by tomoe97 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:01 pm

I have been unable to get the sample playback function to work with any of my songs or samples. My samples import okay from iTunes on iPad and I'm able to save them to Filtatron's sample catalog; however, none of them will play back--no audio wave appears when they're selected. All of the samples I have tried are under 15 secs. in length and in aif or wav (16-bit, 44.1) format.

When I saved the Filtatron app data to my desktop via iTunes, the imported samples were all there, but when I tried to play them on my desktop, I received the following QuickTime error message: "The movie could not be opened. The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -208)." Since the original samples play just fine in QuickTime, they must be getting screwed up somehow during the importation process.

Any advice?

kenficara

Post by kenficara » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:35 pm

This is happening to me too -- I created several MP3s in Audacity, imported them into iTunes and onto the iPad, and imported them. The samples do not play and in one instance crashed the app.