Model D & Model 15 static when using Logic Pro

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
sahurd

Model D & Model 15 static when using Logic Pro

Post by sahurd » Wed May 10, 2023 3:04 am

I just installed the Model D & Model 15 MacOS applications on my Mac (latest OS, last Intel version processor). The standalone applications work great. However, when I try to access them as Audio Units within Logic Pro, I get a fair amount of static along with the signal when I depress a key on my MIDI keyboard. At first, I thought it was volume-based signal clipping, but after changing gain settings, it's still happening (regardless of patch loaded on both Moog apps).

I do use other AUs in Logic Pro and they work fine.

I'm sure there's some Logic or Moog setting that clears this up, but I have yet to find one. Any ideas or pointers are appreciated.

Thanks, Steve

ZendoBrendo

Re: Model D & Model 15 static when using Logic Pro

Post by ZendoBrendo » Sun May 28, 2023 11:21 am

I have this issue as well, but it is also the standalone apps. I figured my processor was too weak (2014 intel mac mini). Adjusting sample rates and buffer settings did not work for me, but maybe you have a mismatch between Logic's settings and the Moog plugin?

calaverasgrande

Re: Model D & Model 15 static when using Logic Pro

Post by calaverasgrande » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:49 pm

I was really, really into these two apps when they got ported over to the Mac.
I used to spend hours just making patches. Really honing in on sounds. On my 14" MBP they run great in Sonoma 14.1.
On my Mac pro it is another story.
I've been going through stuff I wrote on my laptop. Importing it to my main setup.
I have all the plugin preset folders in my iCloud drive. This makes it less painful.
For the most part it's smooth sailing. Except The Moog apps.
They will sound fine at first. But after a couple minutes I hear a bunch of noise and then get a pop up telling me "error while trying to synchronize audio and midi".
Tried changing audio settings to no avail.
Then I noticed its only happening on projects with the Moog Apps.
You can get a better idea of thread utilization by opening 'customize control bar and display' (right click on the transport LCD) then adding Performance Meter. That shows CPU and disk utilization. Wow great.
You double click on that and get a little floating window with a bar graph for each thread.
So I see about 5 or 6 threads running no greater than 5% during playback or when stopped.
But over on the right, all by itself is one thread at 50% utilization when stopped.
During playback it creeps higher and higher until the fuzzy audio glitches, then synchronize-audio-and-midi error.
Interesting. Just on a hunch I disable the Moog app.
The huge bar drops to 10%.
I delete Moog app. The 10% thread goes away.
Replace it with a different softsynth, and it plays fine.
Using Logic 10.7.9, Mac OS Monterrey 12.7.2 Model D 1.3.35
Taurus III, Digitone, Dark Energy, OB6, MG1, Grandmother, Blofeld