Taurus 3 vs. Little Phatty with a roland PK-5

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
kidgloves2

Taurus 3 vs. Little Phatty with a roland PK-5

Post by kidgloves2 » Sat May 29, 2010 4:10 pm

What can the taurus do that you can't do with a Little Phatty controlled by a Roland PK-5? Are the oscillators different?

Klopfgeist

Re: Taurus 3 vs. Little Phatty with a roland PK-5

Post by Klopfgeist » Sun May 30, 2010 1:22 pm

Everything is different; it is a completely different instrument.

There have already been several "Taurus VS" threads, so lets not make this into another "Voyager VS Model D" scandal. :D
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Mon May 31, 2010 11:39 pm

But can the Taurus go lower than the LP? As in deeper? Does it have sub-oscillators?

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon May 31, 2010 11:46 pm

No sub oscillators, but the oscillators and filter are different. The Taurus saw wave combined with the Taurus filter just has that magic bass that makes you have to change your pants. Technically, both the T3 and the LP will both extend to 20hz, but the T3 is just better suited to the Taurus bass sound.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:39 am

The sub oscillators on my DSI Tetr4 can shake the life out of people. I just assumed the T3 had sub-oscillators. But maybe nobody makes discrete analog sub-oscillators. I'm sure when I have the funds, I will end up with a T3 no matter what.

I just wish someone like m-audio would make an affordable floor controller similar to the Roland PK-5....but not $500.

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:47 am

The bass my Voyager can do outdoes anything my Mopho (which I am selling) can do, so I will probably have to stock up on some new underwear when my Taurus arrives! :D

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:05 am

I can see that. But the Tetr4 can layer 4 voices and create a SICK rumble, blowing the Mopho away too. The Mopho is only 1voice. Imagine what you can do with 4 voices layered, all with sub-oscillators and detuning etc... It won't sound like a T3, but it has it's own flavor.

That's probably why I would consider a T3 also...down the road that is. Just for variety. I play guitar mostly, but love to use my feet.

Prester

Post by Prester » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:39 pm

kidgloves2 wrote:The sub oscillators on my DSI Tetr4 can shake the life out of people. I just assumed the T3 had sub-oscillators. But maybe nobody makes discrete analog sub-oscillators. I'm sure when I have the funds, I will end up with a T3 no matter what.

I just wish someone like m-audio would make an affordable floor controller similar to the Roland PK-5....but not $500.

I love my PK-5. I run it into a JP-8000 for sub sounds.
It's built like a tank and has never failed me.
I would truly love to have a Taurus though. The PK-5 may be over $500 but it still has a much nicer price than other controllers.
Enjoy life-
- it has an expiration date.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:19 am

kidgloves2 wrote:I can see that. But the Tetr4 can layer 4 voices and create a SICK rumble, blowing the Mopho away too. The Mopho is only 1voice. Imagine what you can do with 4 voices layered, all with sub-oscillators and detuning etc... It won't sound like a T3, but it has it's own flavor.
That's probably why I would consider a T3 also...down the road that is. Just for variety. I play guitar mostly, but love to use my feet.
Moog and DS gear together = sonic bliss. My Taurus 3, midi'd to my Prophet '08 sounds friggin' awesome! Either one on it's own sounds great, but the two together are unbelievable. The T-3's "Abyss Bass" patch layered over the P-'08's "Moonster" patch has the power to wake the dead, and the T-3's "Gordon" patch layered with P-08's "Tom Sawyer" patch sounds like the Devil's own electric chair. As for the Roland PK-5, I love mine, and you can usually grab used ones off of the 'Bay for much less than $500. The PK-5s can greatly enhance the useability of the Taurus. You can use them as a 2nd set of remote pedals, say under a keyboard rig, while the Taurus sit front of stage. They could sit next to the Taurus, controlling a 2nd synth, for a much wider variety of available sounds that you can change back & forth quickly within the same song, and one of my favorite uses - leave them at the rehearsal space for practice, and keep your Taurus safe (and accessible) at home. My Little Phatty does some great bass sounds, but they don't even come close to the bass sounds of the mighty Taurus, so I use my LP mainly for leads and FX.

kidgloves2

Post by kidgloves2 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Superd2112, do you ever make videos and put them on youtube?

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Kidgloves2, no videos yet - I don't own a video camera. I'm thinking of purchasing the Zoom video/audio recorder, but I had only planned on using it for shooting rehearsals & gigs, for the purpose of critiquing myself & my band. As a bassist I can more than hold my own, but I'm not much of a keyboard player or solo artist. The Taurus & P-'08 are used mainly for our Rush & prog covers, and on a few originals. The Phatty stays at home, as I can barely fit my bass rig, basses and Taurus in my car. The older I get, the more I keep streamlining my live rig. I used to wish for fame & fortune - now I just wish someone could build an 800-watt bass combo the size of a breadbox that only weighs 10 lbs & could still melt faces...

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:37 pm

The carvin bass cabs are full size and very light weight. Good prices, too.

factorplayer

Post by factorplayer » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:45 pm

I am pretty happy with my PK-5s, got one used on ebay for about 350 I think. Still use it (into a Roland SH-32) alongside the Taurus III in my Rush tribute band. I just wish it had some type of indicator for the hold funtion so you could tell if its on or off...

nightfur

Post by nightfur » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:51 pm

superd2112 wrote:Kidgloves2, no videos yet - I don't own a video camera. I'm thinking of purchasing the Zoom video/audio recorder, but I had only planned on using it for shooting rehearsals & gigs, for the purpose of critiquing myself & my band. As a bassist I can more than hold my own, but I'm not much of a keyboard player or solo artist. The Taurus & P-'08 are used mainly for our Rush & prog covers, and on a few originals. The Phatty stays at home, as I can barely fit my bass rig, basses and Taurus in my car. The older I get, the more I keep streamlining my live rig. I used to wish for fame & fortune - now I just wish someone could build an 800-watt bass combo the size of a breadbox that only weighs 10 lbs & could still melt faces...
Try the 600 Watt Orange SP212 isobaric bass cabs. Very loud, good power handling.