Taurus 1 Sound vs. Taurus 3

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:01 pm

The comparison between software emulations and the hardware emulated is like playing hunting and fishing video games. Sure you spend a lot less money and still have fun sitting in front of a screen pushing buttons while looking at a one-dimensional picture, and it can produce the same result as actually hunting or fishing, but when someone comes to your house you don't have a bunch of shotguns and a huge tackle box to show off, you just have some virtual numbers. Even though I have synths that live inside my Macbook that can do things my Voyager can't even imagine, the actual hardware and interface and connection between your hand and the knobs make playing and programming the instrument infinitely better than sitting in front of a computer with a mouse and some endless encoders that you had to program to control the cutoff. Yes the Moog Modular software is a million gazzilion bajillion more times convenient than actually owning the real thing, but you won't have the same ideas and inspiration that you would if you were holding several patch cords while standing in front of a giant stack of knobs and cables which is emitting sounds that are making your neighbors scared.

Sorry to go slightly OT.
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:53 pm

Truth be told, unless I hit the lottery or discovered that some rich relative had left me a pile of money, I'd probably go for the Arturia software before spending the money on the real thing.

As Dave Chapelle once pointed out, keepin' it real can be really, really costly!

:lol:

Klopfgeist

Post by Klopfgeist » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 pm

As a side note, I just tried to download a demo of the Moog Modular software, but Arturia requires you to have a dongle just for the demo, and the links in the email they send you don't even work. If one company could produce native plugins and software instruments that use a registration system that works ALL the time (actually native instruments have cleaned their act up a bit), then I would be VERY happy. Here's to Moog Music Inc. Software Division! :D
So this thing only plays one note?

http://soundcloud.com/unarius
http://www.youtube.com/user/plague1715

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Yeah, for some reason Arturia got real paranoid. Too bad they don't realize that they'd actually do better if they'd get rid of that damned dongle!

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:56 am

Klopfgeist wrote:The comparison between software emulations and the hardware emulated is like playing hunting and fishing video games. Sure you spend a lot less money and still have fun sitting in front of a screen pushing buttons while looking at a one-dimensional picture, and it can produce the same result as actually hunting or fishing, but when someone comes to your house you don't have a bunch of shotguns and a huge tackle box to show off, you just have some virtual numbers. Even though I have synths that live inside my Macbook that can do things my Voyager can't even imagine, the actual hardware and interface and connection between your hand and the knobs make playing and programming the instrument infinitely better than sitting in front of a computer with a mouse and some endless encoders that you had to program to control the cutoff. Yes the Moog Modular software is a million gazzilion bajillion more times convenient than actually owning the real thing, but you won't have the same ideas and inspiration that you would if you were holding several patch cords while standing in front of a giant stack of knobs and cables which is emitting sounds that are making your neighbors scared.

Sorry to go slightly OT.
No need to apologize - you just summed up the reason why folks like Moog, DSI and other makers of real analog hardware are in business & doing well. Emulations have their uses, but they will never completely replace the real deal.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:51 am

Klopfgeist wrote:As a side note, I just tried to download a demo of the Moog Modular software, but Arturia requires you to have a dongle just for the demo, and the links in the email they send you don't even work. If one company could produce native plugins and software instruments that use a registration system that works ALL the time , then I would be VERY happy.
Actually GForce require a serial number and that's it: not even challenge and response. Plus for me their emulations are better than Arturia's (all subjective i know), i really didn't like their Moog ones when i tried them (before the dongle busines started: i would never have tried them if that had been around). They tend to use the same technology from one product to the next, rather than building from scratch like GForce do: ARPs and Moogs do not have the same building blocks, this ain't Lego.

Mind you, i use my Scope Minimax for Model D sounds and GForce for Oddity, impOSCar (i have a real OSCar too), M-Tron Pro and VSM.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

HB3

Post by HB3 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:06 am

GeForce is great.

I got the Arturia stuff before the dongle started. Now you can't update your software unless you convert to the damn dongle.

Airlock

Post by Airlock » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:20 pm

In the 70's I played the Taurus 1 thru the big Traynor YBA something tube head into a Fender 4x12 Bassman cab. We recorded to a Teac 3340 4 track.
I don't think the originals would sound the same thru the rigs I have now, nor would they sound the same recorded thru the gear I have now. That said, the T3 sounds dead-on. Granted the ears are a couple of decades older, and my T1's are long-gone, but I've spent some real quality time with the T3's since they arrived and I don't believe there is any appreciable sonic difference between the two.

Guys, in the end Moog delivered as promised- nailed it IMO, and if you liked the T1's you are gonna love the T3's.