T3 amplification

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:16 pm

correct....speaker goes on the top left, facing left. you can see the route the sound travels...down, then up behind the speaker, down the back of the cab then out the front bottom left....

i purchased the plans, but i didn't think my woodworking skills were up to snuff. i paid one of the recommended builders on the bf.com website. i also have a pair of dr200 tops and 4 x wedgehorn vocal monitors. the main advantages to these designs are small size, light weight (1/2" ply construction) and horn-loaded high-efficiency, requiring low wattage power amps (low$, lightweight) to achieve high spl's.

Stick_Player

Post by Stick_Player » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:55 pm

How much did this cost to have it made for you?

I see that there is a guy out near Palm Springs that does make these. Did you use him?

acorkos

Post by acorkos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:37 pm

my BFD speakers are about 2 years old. the floor monitors came from arizona, the sub and tops from michigan (=shipping$$$). the palm springs builder wasn't available at the time i ordered. the t39 was $800 plus packing/shipping. t39 included 22" width, 12LF driver, dual speakon connectors, recessed jack dish, duratex spray finish, tilt-back casters, built-in dowel handle on top, cutout handles on bottom and mouth, metal corners, glides at top rear, pole socket on top. 72 lbs.

my t39 is magnificent....and it sounds incredible. when not in use on a gig with my band, it sits in my home studio beneath my stacked pair of dr200 tops taking all the low end synth punishment i can throw at it.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 pm

acorkos wrote:i have a t39...22" wide w/Eminence Delta 12LF, powered by 500 watts from a bridged QSC RMX850. Check out this link regarding getting 6 to 12 db more volume from a sub up near a wall or pointed into a corner...
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... ?f=1&t=398

and here's the innards of my t39 while it was being built:
The Hartsfield speaker built by JBL from the mid 50's, until the mid 60's loaded a 15" bass driver with a horn folded into the speaker cabinet, similar to the T39 design. Placing the enclosure in the corner of the room allowed the two walls to extend the loading horn, extending the speaker's uable low-end response to around 35 Hz. They were monsters, with each cabinet weighing in at over 250 Lbs.

It's a venerable enclosure design. Cerwin-Vega's T-42 uses a folded horn design with a 21" bass driver. It will go down to 35 Hz -3 dB (33 Hz -10 dB). It's max SPL is 144 dB, which should be enough to shake the house off of its foundation! :twisted:

mayidunk

Update on my purchase of the Behringer TRUTH B2092A sub...

Post by mayidunk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:02 pm

mayidunk wrote:
mayidunk wrote:I actually find that I get very good bass with my 6.5" monitors. I A/B'd them with a set of good headphones, and they are comparable. (I know, I know... no pant flappin'! But I have neighbors with very loud sound systems. Call it detente... )

Actually, I'm afraid that after dropping a ton of money on a subwoofer, I'd decide that it was just muddying up the mix and stop using it.
Update:
I am a certified gear slut! I'm not even a discriminating slut at that! Behringer?!

Damn!

I kept reading about the Behringer TRUTH B2092A subwoofer, and the more I read, the more I had to try it! I found it on provantage.com for $191 shipped, and I couldn't resist!

GAS!!!

Here's provantage's order page:
http://www.provantage.com/behringer-b2092a~7BEHR001.htm

Here's Behringer's page:
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B2092A.aspx

Here's a fairly detailed review:
http://www.tcmagazine.info/articles.php ... rticle=184

Heh heh... at least my living room has a high, vaulted ceiling. Think I might get lucky?

I'll let you know if it ends up becoming a heavy and expensive end-table!

Sigh! :oops:
Update:

Welp! The Behringer sub has been hooked up to my system for over a week now, and I can honestly say that it delivers the beef! The effect is really very immersive, if that makes sense to any one. I have gotten it loud enough to where the walls were rattling! The sub sounds well focused, and has not been boomy at all, though that really has more to do with speaker placement and room dimensions. The crossover point (80 hz) works well with my studio monitors. And the sub tends to be more felt at times rather than heard, though you definitely do hear it! Its sound is very smooth, and seems to blend very well at the crossover point. however, this is purely a subjective assessment, as I do not have the test equipment needed to properly set it up.

All in all, I would have to say that buying the Behringer TRUTH B2092A was a very good thing. And for the price I paid for it, it is proving to be an outstanding value!

Of course, YMMV.

Bob
Last edited by mayidunk on Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acorkos

Re: Update on my purchase of the Behringer TRUTH B2092A sub.

Post by acorkos » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:06 pm

mayidunk wrote:...And the subs tend to be more felt at times rather than heard...
try it with a triangle wave, or a sine wave if you have one

mayidunk

Re: Update on my purchase of the Behringer TRUTH B2092A sub.

Post by mayidunk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:09 pm

acorkos wrote:
mayidunk wrote:...And the subs tend to be more felt at times rather than heard...
try it with a triangle wave, or a sine wave if you have one
Absolutely, acorkos! One of the first things I did was to sweep a pure sinewave through it in an attempt to discern the crossover point. It damned near lifted me right out of my seat!! :lol:

Sparks

I'm screwed!

Post by Sparks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:10 pm

In anticipation of the T3 I set p my keyboard rig and my bass rig in the living room and ran the T3 demo file: neither rig really goes low enough! The only thing I have that can reproduce some of the bottom is a Bose sub/sat system on the pc. Yuck!

So, it looks like I know have to re-think my keyboard stage setup. I need a sub (mono) and two tops (stereo). The sub has to supplement the 15" front loaded QSC subs on our small PA (and act as stage monitor) and I need the tops in stereo for the Leslie and tremolo effects. Time to go over to BillFitzmaurice and check out the jack 10's and a tuba. Been trying to avoid having to carry another rack to hold an amp and crossover.

Any other suggestions? Small footprint is required! Thanks.

Mark
in T3 heaven......

Sparks

Post by Sparks » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm

acorkos wrote:....my t39 is magnificent....and it sounds incredible. when not in use on a gig with my band, it sits in my home studio beneath my stacked pair of dr200 tops taking all the low end synth punishment i can throw at it.
What amps, crossover, etc. are you using for the tuba and 200s? Thanks.
Mark.
in T3 heaven......

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:36 pm

Mayi,
It only goes down to 40 hz? Is that quite enough power/Hz to really be effective in a bigger room than what you currently have it in?

Check out this article
http://www.axiomaudio.com/deepbass.html

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

mayidunk

Post by mayidunk » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:17 pm

Actually, the published specs have it going down to 32 hz at +/- 3dB. However, not having a frequency counter, I can't say if I'm getting down that far, especially since the room it's in is rather large with a vaulted ceiling. Notwithstanding, my subjective experience with this sub is quite satisfying.

Again, as always, YMMV. However, for the price (and I believe that's a key consideration in this case...) it really rocks! It sits unobtrusively in the mix, and yet really fills in the low end at all volumes. This sub really does a good job, in my opinion.