Where do I put the Taurus 3?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Charlie Labs

Post by Charlie Labs » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:31 am

I'm trying to figure out where to place the Taurus 3 pedals in my setup. My rig consists of 4 keyboards and 3 amps.

3 keyboards are in front of me:
Top - Alesis Andromeda on a double x stand
Middle - Hammond XK3 and bottom- Yamaha P90 on a double tier, double x stand
Beneath the 3 of them are 3 pedals (2 sustain and one EXP100f).
My mic is above the Andromeda.

To my right is my Voyager with my newly acquired MP201 below it (get it if you don't have it!) and I use a Boss RE-20.
I'll be adding Moogerfoogers as I can.

The amps I use are 2 Roland KC550's and a Motion Sound Pro 145.
Sometimes I sit, sometimes I stand.

It's going to be interesting where these pedals will end up. If I put them on a 45 deg angle to my right I can't use my sus and exp pedals with my right foot. I'm leaning towards placing them to the left of the 2 sus/ exp pedals. I've been researching stands and drawing up plans. I'm either going to have to buy or build new stands or put the taurus to the left as if playing pedals on a Hammond M3. I've accepted that I won't be able to see the display and will be driving by touch. The three keyboards in front of me are stacked very close to one another (only the diameter of the tubing plus rubber separates them). I am the frontman and I try to keep everything as low as possible. I'd like to hear if anyone here has a similar situation and is also trying to figure out where to put their pedals.

I guess I'm doing Ok if my biggest issue in life is where to put my Taurus pedals.

Thanks!

superd2112

Re: Where do I put the Taurus 3?

Post by superd2112 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:39 am

Charlie Labs wrote:I guess I'm doing Ok if my biggest issue in life is where to put my Taurus pedals.
Agreed... I think everyone one of us who was lucky enough to be able to afford to pre-order the T-3s has a lot to be thankful for this year. As for Taurus placement, you HAVE to put them underneath the Andy, where the audience can see that great Moog logo on the oh-so-cool extruded aluminum back panel. Then you need to hunt down a nice used set of Roland PK-5s to MIDI to the Taurus, and set them under the Voyager. My primary instrument is bass guitar, so my Taurus sit front of stage, and my PK-5s sit stage right beneath the revolving "synth 'djour". BTW, sounds like you have a great setup there!

Charlie Labs

Post by Charlie Labs » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:30 am

Thanks! I am grateful for all that I have. I hear what you're saying about having the Moog logo visible to the audience, after all you do have to look good when you're playing! I usually set myself stage right on an angle so the audience can at least see my hands moving. Once I have the Taurus I'll post some pics so those running multiple keyboards can at least see how I have mine set up.

R6.02

Post by R6.02 » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:24 am

As a guitar player, it's always been a bit of challenge regarding the overall stage 'footprint' of the Taurus pedals or any bass pedals (e.g. PK-5, etc.) for that matter. My guitar pedal board takes up a decent amount of space and I've always had the bass pedals set right next to them in parallel (just like big AL... 8) ). Depending on the size of the stage area, sometimes I'd have to angle it a bit, but I also sing so it's tough to find an ideal mic placement and still be able to reach everything.

From reading the specs, these bad boys are even 'bigger' than the original T1 (looks like it's the depth at 24" vs. only about 20" for the T1 and even less for the PK-5). Just that much more space I'll have to worry about.

I 'love' having these types of issues to worry about in my life... :D

Charlie Labs

Post by Charlie Labs » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:00 pm

I finally got my Taurus 3 and wanted to update this thread. While the layout is still a work in progress, I wanted to share where I'm at right now.

I had been using X stands to hold my keyboards for the longest time. I needed to find a spot for the T3 so I picked up an On Stage Z stand. Not only was it perfect for the Voyager/Taurus combo but I picked up a few more for some of my other boards (I'm always looking to make my stage footprint more compact). While the Z stands arms are about an inch thicker then the X stands, they are more sturdy so whatever is on them shakes a whole lot less. Thats a big plus for me. I've found that the overall height between the 3 boards hasn't changed by much at all and in fact, the Z-stands allow me to pretty much put the keys closer together front to back. The thing that was most important to me was I needed the floor space for the T3's.

SETUP.jpg

The top board is still on a double X stand
The middle and bottom boards are both on Z stands.

The Voyager is on a Z stand to the right and the Taurus 3 is underneath. The stand is open just enough so that the rubber feet of the Voyager are just on the inside of the arms. The synth isn't going anywhere. The T3's jacks are all accessable. The volume and control wheels are reachable but not really practical for live tweaking. This doesnt matter to me as I don't use them, but it is a downside and I wanted to point that out.

I am looking into a Z stand with a second tier and will probably add that next (for the top and middle boards).

Thanks for reading this,
Charlie

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Z stand is the correct answer. No coincidence that yourself, Voltor, myself all ended up here. It's width adjustable, solid as a rock, affordable. I picked up the two tier version then in a fit of foolishness machined and stained some oak in the spirit of Taurus to hold some smaller width gear [click on the 2nd pick].

$85 bucks, free shipping. They are giving it away: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4 ... _Tier.html

Set at a width for my trusty Matrix 6 (61 key), it has room for an exp pedal within.
DSC_0131.jpg
DSC_0130.jpg
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!