Prices Dropping

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
timmy

Post by timmy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:50 pm

i have seen quite a few auctions end untouched in the last 6 months. average price for a T1 set is around $2400/2500 at moment. i bet they dip well below $1995 in the coming months as players with the $$$ and desire to purchase the Taurus sound ponder...

$2500 for a 30+ year old instrument showing some signs of rusting with scratches and a missing variable settings door who's usage/storage/maintenance/care history i have no knowledge of being sold without case

- OR -

$1995 w/ $495 case for a brand new, feature rich, MIDI'ed, CV'ed, USB'ed, patch storage capable, velocity sensitive, arpeggiator loaded T3
Go analog: Moog Music, Dave Smith Instruments, Tom Oberheim
Go plastic: Roland, Yamaha, Korg

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Timmy, the choice is obvious... Not to worry though, Kimber will buy up all of those old relics & sell them to aging rock stars for ridiculous prices!

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:09 pm

You forgot to mention the warranty!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Losendoskeys

Post by Losendoskeys » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:44 am

kimber wrote:Keith Emerson? I saw some old video of him stabbing an organ with daggers or knives or something. Corny, Vegas crap. Now Rush is still selling out 60,000 seat arenas around the world, and The Police just got off a world tour. I have ELP's greatest hits, and there is one good song on it. (Lucky Man). I have 2 Taurus 1's, and I spend $100 to tune them up about every five years. I hope these Taurus 3's are everything they say they are. I bought 2 of them. I am an opinionated fellow, and I am direct. My responses are directed toward the guy in Colorado who thinks he is lucky and smart by buying a new piece of equipment that has a warranty. Even a 100 dollar Mexican strat has a warranty, but it's still a piece of sh*t. I have too much disposable income. Have a great day!!
You are opinionated and direct and so am I.
If you think ELP were about songs then you completely missed the point. Lucky Man is good but nothing like their best writing. Try listening to Tarkus or Pictures at an Exhibition.
They were one of the pioneers of prog rock and Keith Emerson has more talent in one finger than anyone in Rush (Rush who??)

ELP are not about brainless rock music or pop - they were formed from the best rock musicians in the world at the time.
They can fill stadia everywhere they go - a Megagroup.
Like all good rock bands they are British and have nothing to do with Vegas - shoving knives in Hammonds WAS a gimmick of his at the time but it doesn't detract he is probably the greatest keyboard player who ever lived, Rick Wakeman included.

Have a nice day!

Losendoskeys

Post by Losendoskeys » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:53 am

kimber wrote: Let's face it, anybody even remotely interested in Moog Taurus Bass Pedals is a Rush fan. If you disagree, you are a liar.
I have never really listened to Rush but I'm guessing it's mostly brainless heavy rock.
Recently 500,000 fans turned out in Rome to see a little band called Genesis (have you heard of them in the US...seeing as how parochial you are about monotone US rock music).
Mike Rutherford was using Taurus 1's when Rush were still in diapers.

Find someone else to insult..........you've just picked on a couple of hundred million Genesis fans..........

R
Alan

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:09 pm

Okay this is ridiculous! Don't hate on Rush. I urge you to search youtube videos for Neil Peart. One of the greatest drummers in Rock. Better than Bonham, not Terry Bozzio but better than Bonham.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:08 pm

My God, if I had known this thread was going to devolve into a "my favorite band is better than yours" war, I never would have started it. Losendoskeys, we all have our favorite musicians, and nobody is right or wrong when it comes to that subject, so how 'bout we get back to discussing TAURUS on the taurus forum (what a concept!). Lets save the "Brittney vs. Gaga" debates for the kiddie forums. No sense in taking jabs at Kimber, he appears to have crawled back under the rock where he came from. As for my original post, you can see on Ebay now that T-1 prices have dipped well below $2000 - as predicted.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:41 pm

Please don't feed the troll.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Mitchell Chastain

Post by Mitchell Chastain » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:58 pm

I think the prices will go right back up after the new ones have been out for a little while. I think the vintage market will always be there no matter how great the new pedals are. Model D's are as high as ever.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:36 pm

The first thing I'm going to do when I get my Taurus 3 is to set it and all of my other Moog gear (some Midi some not) and shake the neighborhood with my own rendition of Camera Eye. It just so happens that you like an artist because of their sound and the aforementioned have certainly used heavy Moog products as part of their sound. I had no idea that Sting used Taurus but I suppose a 3-man setup does need a bit more bottom end and texture.

On the subject of made-in-America or not, I was going to buy an American Fender J-Bass when they were re-released a few years ago but I went to the store to find that the finish was crap. I ended up buying a 75' re-issue (also made in USA) finish was perfect.

I'm not sure the comment about being made in USA by Mexican's is a fair statement, all companies and shifts have good workers and not so good (off days) workers, it's QC and ISO that ought to catch the issues.

Good companies have pride, well engineered products and high standards; bad companies outsource jobs and have no QC (ie. the depend on a ramshackle <- 'technical term' job shop in China, Indonesia, Singapore, Mexico, or elsewhere to do something at the lowest cost, then they ship sh!t, assemble it and off it goes to Walmart.)

Moog is a quality company and though I do see postings of issues now and then, I believe there stuff is well engineered, manufactured, assembled with pride. Ultimately they may end up using some parts which are not made in the USA. That's life, that's business. Given the choice between having a product with some components NOT made here or getting driven out of business by a bad economy or fierce competition; which do you choose?

-Mike W. from NJ

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:45 pm

Mitchell Chastain wrote:I think the prices will go right back up after the new ones have been out for a little while. I think the vintage market will always be there no matter how great the new pedals are. Model D's are as high as ever.
That is a possibility - even if the T-3s sound identical to the T-1s (and they will), the originals will always be an historically significant instrument, and there will always be those individuals for whom only the "original" or the "real deal" will satisfy. That said, I don't believe the new Taurus will detract from the original's historical mojo, but I do feel the new Taurus IIIs render the originals obsolete as far as road-worthiness is concerned. You may still get some great studio use out of the T-1s, but I sure wouldn't have much faith in them holding up out on the road.

EricK

Post by EricK » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:19 pm

Now wouldn't that be neat to have them side by side tuned to different octaves so you have two octaves of leg spasming blliss to contend with?

Cole Gaskins

Post by Cole Gaskins » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:27 pm

I say now is the time to buy buy buy T1's! You know in your gut they are going to go back up.

yeti

Post by yeti » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:12 pm

o.k. I am back from the rock I just crawled out from under. Moog isn't in production yet with the Taurus 3 as of 15:54 central time on Tuesday December 2, 2009. I think the road case is a bit of a rip off. You could probably get an Anvil for about $375 at the most. Also, I just bought a new house in Nevada, so I was busy with going back and forth to Chicago. I talked to Linda at Moog, (Heidi quit) and she is a very nice lady. No Taurus 3's will go out for a while. My concern is that the Taurus 3's won't sound as rich (my opinion) as the Taurus 1's. The bells and whistles mean nothing without the sound. Also, I never said Rush is better than Genesis or better than U2 or whatever. I do think that playing cover music is stealing and cheesy. I see it every day in Las Vegas. I am enjoying this, though. I write original music that I like, and I don't try to sell it. .....Crickets.....I gotta go catch a plane.....talk to you soon.

HB3

Post by HB3 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:26 pm

My concern is that the Taurus 3's won't sound as rich (my opinion) as the Taurus 1's. The bells and whistles mean nothing without the sound.

It's a legitimate concern. Anyone into vintage effects pedals knows this. It's true, that certain je ne c'est quoi is hard to duplicate. However, I bought a set because of a well established track record. I love my LP, moogerfoogers, and 201. Maybe they'll blow it, but I doubt it. Perhaps it won't match the original exactly, but still be extremely impressive, ie, Voyager VS. mini.

What is that ineffable quality, anyway? Everyday experience, oh, say thirty or forty years ago, was different in ways hard to account for. Modernity itself is something of a digital emulation, isn't it? In the same way that music, the music scene, seemed real and significant, now endless tribute bands can only emulate what was once a "real" experience.