How do you think they would start construction?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
EricK

How do you think they would start construction?

Post by EricK » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:33 pm

So the project is a go, has been for awhile.

How do you think they would start construction? Would they build the circuitry first and then build an enclosure or would they start by designing the filter circuit and the Oscillators and then add MIDI and then pick a pedal assembly and then design the enclosure?

What do you think and how far along do you think they might be?

Eric

WHat does it take to design a synth from scratch?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

superd2112

Re: How do you think they would start construction?

Post by superd2112 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 pm

EricK wrote:So the project is a go, has been for awhile.

How do you think they would start construction? Would they build the circuitry first and then build an enclosure or would they start by designing the filter circuit and the Oscillators and then add MIDI and then pick a pedal assembly and then design the enclosure?

What do you think and how far along do you think they might be?

Eric

WHat does it take to design a synth from scratch?
Well, the pedal assembly will come from Fatar, so the basic platform is already there. I hope Moog spends some time looking at ergonomic issues, and comes up with some clever design features to ensure easy foot button access and an intuitive interface. I would like to see the same illuminated footswitches from the MP-201 used for patch, octave and glide selection, and a gooseneck lamp socket would be helpful. The enclosure should be sleek and modern, along the lines of the Phatty, and it would be cool if the illuminated control knobs and buttons from the Phatty were used for the synth interface. Lastly, I would suggest using white-colored plastic for the pedal tips to make them more visible on dark stages. As for the circuit, I recall the electronics in the T-1s I used to own didn't take up much space in the interior, so hopefully Moog can keep the whole unit compact and streamlined.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:48 pm

Glow-in-the-dark pedals, or black light responsive pedals would be pretty cool, as well! Or, pedals with LED's in them. As far as ergonomics go, Amos told me in a personal e-mail that the Taurus pedals will look something like a wide Little Phatty with pedals instead of keys. Which I don't mind at all. As long as the side panels are wood. :mrgreen:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Nice suggestion.
Personally Id rather see it lean towards the quality of the Voyager. I want the unit to perfectly match the Foogers or look like the original.

Im personally hoping for a black metal enclosure like the Voyager/Foogers and if its going to have potentiometers, Id hope that they are the high quality ones and not the loose illuminated ones. Instead of the big plastic buttons, the Foogers switches are quiet and would seem to suffice for footwork.

While I feel that it will probably look like the Mp201 and the Phatty, I woudl surely hope that it wouldn't. Im not the biggest fan of the Phatty design, but I like the sound.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:53 pm

From what I understand, the back of it will be the same as the LP. Everything else is up in the air. As long as it has wood sides, I don't mind. Isn't that what makes the look of the 'Foogers? And if the back is black like the Stage II, even better! I wouldn't like the knobs to be lighted either, if truth be told. Kind of detracts from the vintage look.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm

Wood sides do look nice, but having played pedal synths in one form or another for over 20 years in bars & clubs, I can tell you that even with a case, pedal synths take a beating, & wooden sides will not hold up to the rigors of the road. If you plan on playing your T3s live, you will wish for lighted controls, light weight, durable construction materials, etc. Enjoy your Voyagers for their old-school wooden-sided beauty, but please keep the Taurus 3 FUNCTIONAL and DURABLE above all else.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:38 pm

If you look at the Taurus I, I didn't see wooden sides being optimal in that situation either. Maybe thats why they had that Wood paneling, that you love so much, Volt.

I would think that some lightweight aluminum or something metal would be required to be rugged enough to handle stomping feet and floor abuse.

I am so looking forward to the shipping date, just not looking forward to paying for them lol.

Eric

superd2112

Post by superd2112 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:50 pm

I am so looking forward to the shipping date, just not looking forward to paying for them lol.

Eric[/quote]

Lol, I feel the same. I figure about 300 days until we get them, so if you just put aside about $5.66 a day, they will be paid in full when they ship.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:18 pm

superd2112 wrote: Lol, I feel the same. I figure about 300 days until we get them, so if you just put aside about $5.66 a day, they will be paid in full when they ship.
Good idea! I'll start now! :D

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:16 pm

Its all about those student refunds.

Moog WILL let you pay early if you include your order number with the payment, Ive already talked to them about that.

Eric

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm just hoping our exchange rate doesn't go completely down the tubes. Around June the USD:NZD was over 80 cents, now it's down to 54.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:36 am

latigid on, that really sucks! Well, hopefully our President Elect will be able to rig the economy so that it doesn't completely fail. :shock:

jamezdd73

Post by jamezdd73 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 am

I reckon Moog haven't actually planned what the Taurus' is gonna look like.

They're throwing ideas around like "wooden panels?"... "lights or no lights?"... "Glow in the dark foot pedals?..."

Then they decide "let's visit the forums and see what everyone else thinks!!!"

That's how the tauruses are really being designed :lol:
Little Phatty Stage II #3602, MoogerFooger CP-251 #1785
MF-103 12 Stage Phaser #6093, MF-104m Analog Delay #0301
--
My band: www.facebook.com/InstantMorning

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:32 am

Voltor07 wrote:From what I understand, the back of it will be the same as the LP.
Hmmm... in terms of carting these things around and stage space that seems a lot of wasted space for a floor unit.
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:03 pm

Not only that, Mr Arkadin, but those backs add a lot of weight. But Amos said that's what they're doing. They'll be mostly metal. Even the pedals are metal! I still like the idea of wood sides. We shall see. :wink: