Some answers - please!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
omvibes

Some answers - please!

Post by omvibes » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Hi everyone, my first post here, after having lurked for a while :D

Hoping someone can give me some clear answers about the new Taurus/ T3, cause frankly I'm confused and a little irritated with the situation. If I've missed the answers in another thread, my apologies. But anyway...

The price: seems to be contradictiory issues about the price/ discount for first 250 ordered/ $500 deposit that was originally offered. Checking the website today, I see that the price is now up to the full $2k (so I presume the first 250 have gone?), from the $1.7k originally offered. But I thought the discount price was until 15th Feb? And what happened to the $500 deposit for all orders before then?

Bearing the above in mind, the unit itself: if I'm going to pay $2k plus shipping to the UK, I need to see some firmer details about some basics to do with the unit, before I can even consider ordering, which I can't seem to find a definitive answer to on the forum, or elsewhere:
1. 1 or 1.5 octaves (very important!! I want 1.5 octaves please!). This is a deal-breaker for me really, as I have a T1 set at the moment, and the one octave range for me is its achilles heel (disregarding the contacts issue!).
2. Styling - we need to see some pictures, even design mock-ups - surely Moog must have some idea of the final design by now?
3. (Minor point) Case etc available for it? Weight? UK/ Europe voltage option?
4. Filter/ vol pedals on the outside as with the original T1? Other original controls replicated, with the additions which have been advertised? We need definitive confirmation on its final spec.
5. Sound: the demos on the website, to my ears, are poor, and don't sell it to me. If its really being sold as a 'clone' of the T1, then I need aural proof!

I realise that the project is still in 'production', and if the $500 deposit option was still available, as orginally advertised, then I would be inclined to take my chances and put the money down blindly. But a $2k + non-refundable deposit means that I will have to sell my T1 pedals before I can get the money together for the new Taurus/ T3, and frankly, without firmer information on the product, that's simply a gamble I can't afford to take. Which would be a crushing shame if I ended up missing out on what in theory is an amazing bit of gear!

Anyone help me?

Oli

Mr Arkadin

Re: Some answers - please!

Post by Mr Arkadin » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:34 pm

omvibes wrote: The price: seems to be contradictiory issues about the price/ discount for first 250 ordered/ $500 deposit that was originally offered. Checking the website today, I see that the price is now up to the full $2k (so I presume the first 250 have gone?), from the $1.7k originally offered. But I thought the discount price was until 15th Feb? And what happened to the $500 deposit for all orders before then?
The $1695 price was for the first 250 units, after that $1995 (which they have obviously already reached as the shop price is now $1995). The $1695 price would have gone up to $1995 on 15th Feb if the 250 hadn't been reached by then.

omvibes wrote: 1. 1 or 1.5 octaves (very important!! I want 1.5 octaves please!). This is a deal-breaker for me really, as I have a T1 set at the moment, and the one octave range for me is its achilles heel (disregarding the contacts issue!).
The pedal is a new 'off-the-shelf' unit and does not have the contacts issue. Original adverts claimed 1.5 octaves, but i notice this has been removed - perhaps to keep their options open.

omvibes wrote:2. Styling - we need to see some pictures, even design mock-ups - surely Moog must have some idea of the final design by now?

Well it's proposed to look fairly much like the original Taurus, with a few extra buttons for memories etc.

omvibes wrote:3. (Minor point) Case etc available for it? Weight? UK/ Europe voltage option?
It will be heavy. If they stick to the original spec then the voltage will be switchable - i am in the UK and hope for this too.

omvibes wrote:4. Filter/ vol pedals on the outside as with the original T1? Other original controls replicated, with the additions which have been advertised? We need definitive confirmation on its final spec.
Well the advertising states original Taurus styling and sound - so that's about as definite as you're going to get.

omvibes wrote:5. Sound: the demos on the website, to my ears, are poor, and don't sell it to me. If its really being sold as a 'clone' of the T1, then I need aural proof!
i believe the demos are of an original Taurus. Also you're not going to tell much from a low-bandwidth mp3.

omvibes wrote: I realise that the project is still in 'production', and if the $500 deposit option was still available, as orginally advertised, then I would be inclined to take my chances and put the money down blindly. But a $2k + non-refundable deposit means that I will have to sell my T1 pedals before I can get the money together for the new Taurus/ T3, and frankly, without firmer information on the product, that's simply a gamble I can't afford to take.
First off when i dived in with the $1695 offer there was only a button with the full price on it, but was only charged the $500. Not sure if this is still the case with the $1995 button. In any event all deposits are refundable if the unit doesn't go into production (but it looks like it is as you can even order it at Sweetwater). You can keep your Taurus pedals till then (when you know there is an actual solid product, not vapourware).
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:47 pm

If I hadn't already ordered the Taurus 3's, I'd wait until they have a picture up on the website. Of course, I ordered one of the first 250. Because I'm insane like that. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

CRJ

if

Post by CRJ » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:57 pm

if you can afford one, then just buy it. they will all sell out fairly quickly, and im sure you could just turn around and sell it and probably make a few bucks also.

Brian G

Post by Brian G » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:27 pm

My best guess would be that Moog "MAY" at least have a mock up of a proposed design at NAMM (which is in a few weeks) possibly a working prototype. But I would almost bet something to show what is on the board. Then again who knows :).

There are a few that will remember back to I think1999 or 2000, they showed a mock up of what a new synth would look like. This was when the company was still Big Briar. They took a poll of what people thought of the design at the show and also asked several through email what they thought, from that the Voyager evolved. :) the Voyager didn't start out the way it was released, the mock up was quite different :).

I am sure the Taurus Pedals will be very nice and will do the job well for those that need/want it.

omvibes

Post by omvibes » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 am

Hi guys, thanks for the replies and input.

I did a dummy order, and looks like the $500 initial deposit isn't available anymore :( I might email Moog directly and ask them about it. I presume for those who have already ordered, that the balance due is paid at the time of shipping, or...?

If the $500 deposit isn't possible, think I'm just going to have to hold fast and wait to see what happens, hopefully pictures/ definitive spec will appear shortly, and give me more confidence. Despite the concept and promises by Moog, I'm still a bit concerned that the new T3 might lack something sonically even if it is obviously going to be far more convenient to use (similar I gather to the Voyager v Minimoog sonic debate?).

And as mentioned, I'll need to sell my T1 before getting the T3 - which I won't be able to do until April at the earliest (here's hoping prices for the originals don't start to go down, otherwise the T3 definitively won't be viable for me).

Hmm, decisions, decisions
:)

EricK

Post by EricK » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:26 am

I personally wouldn't sell a set of Vintage T1's for a set of T3's. Im not really hip on selling anything, but I woudln't sell the vintage AT ALL for any reason.

With the T 3's coming out next year this might affect the price of the Vintage T 1s though.

T 4 will be out in theatres soon and theres a million releases of T2 on DVD.

Sorry, I just HAD to go there.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Gamaliel

Post by Gamaliel » Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:04 pm

:twisted:
You can never have too many musical instruments.