Made me laugh

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:23 am

Maskin wrote:
EricK wrote:And Reason will come close with some earth shattering bass, but to me nothing beats hardware.

Eric
I think the soundguys from the venues I've played at would agree. The bass from the Little Phatty seems to amaze them every time, haha!
Even the kick from my DrumTraks blows laptops off the stage and that's just a ROM chip. :lol:
Not only are these excellent points, but walking into a room or onto a stage filled with a Little Phatty, Voyager, Taurus pedals, an organ of some sort, even a small modular looks OVER 9000 times more impressive than a laptop (even a $10,000 multimedia laptop from Silicon Graphics) loaded with emulators, sitting on a folding table with some Cerwin-Vegas underneath covered by a sheet of black velvet. I mean, COME ON! Where's the wow factor?

NO ONE is going to say, "Listen to those sounds coming out of that laptop! That is SO friggin' cool! I wonder who his programmer is?" It's just not impressive. A computer can emulate almost any sound. Where's the cables? Where's the modules? Where's the knobs? On the screen? What? Am I missing something here? Where's the fun? If I wanted to have fun clicking on a mouse, I'd play Baldur's Gate. :roll:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

judas jedermann

Post by judas jedermann » Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:18 am

Voltor07 wrote:
Not only are these excellent points, but walking into a room or onto a stage filled with a Little Phatty, Voyager, Taurus pedals, an organ of some sort, even a small modular looks OVER 9000 times more impressive than a laptop (even a $10,000 multimedia laptop from Silicon Graphics) loaded with emulators, sitting on a folding table with some Cerwin-Vegas underneath covered by a sheet of black velvet. I mean, COME ON! Where's the wow factor?
Totally agree with that. And how impressive is to have your computer program crash down while performing on stage. I just don`t trust those computer things that much.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:30 am

Heh, Im remembering when Bob talked about them doing the first SYnthesizer concert, and he was backstage saying "please work please work" lololololol

:lol:

Well the first time I saw a pic of the chemical brothers I thought "where are all the isntruments?

Now, in the age of overdubbing and lacking musicians, Im trying to figure out how Im goign to put together a live show myself.

We do use reason a lot and boy the sequencers and everything sounds fantastic, but Ill never ever say that they beat real instruments....and most especially a T1.

WHen I got my start it was on electric bass and I despised synth bass. If I went back 13 years and told myself that Id be a synth junkie Id probably think that I had totally sold out lolol.

Oh how we grow.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:07 pm

EricK wrote:Heh, Im remembering when Bob talked about them doing the first SYnthesizer concert, and he was backstage saying "please work please work" lololololol

:lol:

Well the first time I saw a pic of the chemical brothers I thought "where are all the isntruments?

Now, in the age of overdubbing and lacking musicians, Im trying to figure out how Im goign to put together a live show myself.

We do use reason a lot and boy the sequencers and everything sounds fantastic, but Ill never ever say that they beat real instruments....and most especially a T1.

WHen I got my start it was on electric bass and I despised synth bass. If I went back 13 years and told myself that Id be a synth junkie Id probably think that I had totally sold out lolol.

Oh how we grow.

Eric
I used to despise techno because of all the sampling. I now realize that along with sampling, tecno musicians DO use actual instruments. And it's not all just bricks on the keyboard, with an arp going, either. :lol: Opinions change when ignorance is disposed of.
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

peterkadar

Post by peterkadar » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:14 pm

Guitar players are the kings of searching out esoteric gear, boutique guitars, or vintage amps for their tone. I'm sure most guitar players would get it if they really understood the difference the taurus would make. Yeah, Reason sounds great for some stuff, but it doesn't sound like any of my analog gear...

It's really about having pride in your sound, and having as many colours to paint with as possible. It makes a difference.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:22 pm

peterkadar wrote: It's really about having pride in your sound, and having as many colours to paint with as possible. It makes a difference.
Exactly! :mrgreen: