Orders

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum

Have you ordered the new Taurus pedals yet?

Yes I have
61%
No, but I plan to soon
39%

Total votes: 41

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:37 pm

I think the only difference between the Taurus 1 and the 3 will be the timbre of the Oscillator.

It will still have the same deep bass but the Oscillator might sound SLIGHTLY different.

This is sort of like how the Voyager and the Freqbox, both new oscillators sound different, but they aren't the exact same design either.

Eric
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 pm

And I say that the Taurus III will sound EXACTLY like the Taurus I's did when they were new. It's IMPOSSIBLE to say what sounds like what because in the case of the T I's, you've got obsolete components, leaky capacitors, coroded switches, etc. etc.

I would LOVE to go back to 1976, buy a Model D, and compare a pristine D to a Voyager. My guess is that they would sound VERY similar, if not identical. Wait 30 years, and see how your Voyager sounds. Wait 31 years and see how your T III sounds.

God I hate repeating myself. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:32 pm

I think the Taurus I sounded like that brand new. I believe that the difference is the componants. If you had a set of T1s in a vaccum with all of the cool gasses that Kevin lightner told us to store our stuff in, it woudn't sound like a new Taurus III.

Simply because of the source material. This is just a theory man.

I don't think that age plays THAT much of a role in the sound.

I guess that we can compare it to the Prussian Blue vs Azurite.
Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:22 pm

As the proud owner of a dying Farfisa, I have to disagree. Although your experiences with vintage gear are quite different than mine, as your Micro is in great shape, and sounds superb for a monophonic single oscillator synth. I will agree that components used 30 years ago affect the sound, and Moog has compensated for that with the LP and the Voyager, as they still have that Moog sound. I've heard sound samples from 30 years ago that were made by my Farfisa, and it sounds nothing like those samples now.

Whatever the outcome, I am sure no one will dispute the fact that these pedals will kick some major butt, and will be worth twice what we paid, just because of the sound. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Sound samples from your Farfisa? From 30 years ago? Probably on an analog rig as the digital rig from the future will surely make something sound different.

I also can't comment on an organ because thats possible a different sound generation engine.

Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:35 am

EricK wrote:Sound samples from your Farfisa? From 30 years ago? Probably on an analog rig as the digital rig from the future will surely make something sound different.

I also can't comment on an organ because thats possible a different sound generation engine.

Eric
Analog reel-to-reel, in fact. Played back on a Revere tape recorder at 7 1/2 IPS. Oscillators and filters make up the sound engine. Primitive when compared to a synth, but basically the same idea. It sounds much dirtier now compared to then. It needs a recap job something awful, and a calibration couldn't hurt, either. :wink:

Prophetic

Moog Madness!!

Post by Prophetic » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

I actually like the DX7 and didn't have much trouble figuring out how to tweak it - an MXR Phase 90 is essential to getting a much better Rhodes sound out of it - hell, it only cost $300, I really can't complain. It's my 15 year old son who is the real analog snob and won't touch it...lol.

I picked up a Mini Moog D yesterday - the seller was a very cool guy who does music for commercials. I did a craigslist search and found it ten minutes after he posted it. It is in amazing shape, just needed some cleaning (and probably needs some more, but couldn't keep my hands off of it) - I have to say it is wonderful and very intuitive, but Voyager owners have nothing to be ashamed of. No a Voyager is not a D - it's magnificent in it's own right.

Voltor07

Re: Moog Madness!!

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:54 pm

Prophetic wrote:...No a Voyager is not a D - it's magnificent in it's own right.
And therein lies the controversy of which is better. Round and round we go. :roll:

ColorForm2113

Re: Moog Madness!!

Post by ColorForm2113 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:21 pm

Prophetic wrote: It's my 15 year old son who is the real analog snob and won't touch it...lol.
thats hillarious. when i was 15 anything that made some sort of noise was cool for me, now im kind of an analog snob, but i do appreciate digitals, specially when i find them really cheap!

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:57 am

What happened to rushfan? He was a fifteen year-old analog snob as well. Haven't seen him around in a long time. :?

sports_rule_101

Post by sports_rule_101 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:12 pm

Does anybody know if after all the T3's are sold will moog be making any more bass pedals again? And if they are all sold how often does moog bass pedals show up on Ebay?

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:32 pm

Moog bass pedals show up on E-Bay sporadically. Most of them are vintage, and in bad shape. As for your first question, no one knows. :)

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:07 pm

Moog said initially that they were going to do 1 run and 1 run only. Im sure this is subject to change if they sell all 1000 and leave people begging for more. In the past with certian units like the Multi they left the market with only 1000 units to fight over.

Not all Vintage stuff on Ebay is faulty. A lot of it might be but there are places that you can go to find good stuff but for Taurus Is, they usually get higher prices than Model D Minimoogs. 3,000-4,900 Id say for a good quality set. THe influx of brand new Taurus IIIs should drive those prices down a bit.

Moog products generate a lot of price rape on Ebay and Craigslist.

Eric

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:32 pm

Well folks its ben a few months now and I don't know about you guys...but Im frothing at the mouth for a picture. Im frothing at the mouth to know what these babies will sound like and what all features they finally include.

Hoe about an Apreggiator CV output?

lol

I think I need a shot with all of this frothing.

Eric

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:41 pm

EricK wrote:Well folks its ben a few months now and I don't know about you guys...but Im frothing at the mouth for a picture. Im frothing at the mouth...
I think I need a shot with all of this frothing.

Eric
I've been drinking Jim Beam since they announced the Taurus III's. Got four shots in a glass on the rocks right now, in fact. :wink: