Moog Minitaur: Retaining Sound Settings on Hardware Panel After Power Off

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
swk223

Moog Minitaur: Retaining Sound Settings on Hardware Panel After Power Off

Post by swk223 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:19 pm

I have a question regarding the Moog Minitaur analog synthesizer. After adjusting the desired sound settings on the hardware panel and turning off the power, when I turn the device back on after some time, the sound settings are sometimes completely lost. In order to restore the previously set sound settings on the panel, I need to use the Minitaur software to reset the settings to the "Panel Settings" preset. This seems unreasonable to me, as a hardware analog synthesizer should maintain the original sound settings as long as the knobs and switches on the panel are not changed, even when not using the computer software. Is there any explanation for this issue or a way to improve this situation? Thanks.

till

Re: Moog Minitaur: Retaining Sound Settings on Hardware Panel After Power Off

Post by till » Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:54 am

When you turn the knobs on an analog synth with digital patch memory, it actually edits a stored patch. And if you don't save this patch before switching off, the last used preset is recalled from memory when switching the unit on. So the pots don't represent the actual sound settings.

And this is when the Panel Settings feature is used: to get the actual set physical positions of the knobs active.

It is like this on all analog synths with digital patch memory I ever owned. And these are a lot different ones.
So I recommend to save the sound before switching off, although you might not use the patch memory for your way of working. That way, you will get the sound you had, when you switch the Minitaur on again.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16