Reading audio from a usb synth(Minitaur)

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
nancychandler340

Reading audio from a usb synth(Minitaur)

Post by nancychandler340 » Fri May 20, 2022 3:16 am

I would like to experiment with real time audio and was wondering what options are there for accessing audio via a usb port?

I would like to get data from this hardware in an audio stream.

Is this sort of thing best handled by audio frameworks or should the data be fetched using IOKit and passed to e.g. an audio component using a framework?

Also, how is this access effected if e.g. A DAW is accessing the audio from the port? Is dual access handled by the OS?

mfl

Re: Reading audio from a usb synth(Minitaur)

Post by mfl » Fri May 20, 2022 4:04 pm

Sorry, Minitaur can't transmit audio via USB. Its audio signal path is purely analog (unlike its control signals that have a solid digital layer mixed in).

If you want to send digital (USB) audio from your Minitaur, you'll need an analog to digital converter. An external computer sound card with a 1/4 inch line level input should do the job.

If you really don't care about the quality (partially because of the relatively high level of noise a computer case add to any analog signal), you can set the VCA level extremely low and plug a 3.5mm (male-male) cable between the Minitaur's phone output and the microphone input of your computer (usually the 'pink' connector).

Because I already had one, I use an audio mixer with a USB port (and a built-in ADC) when I need to send analog audio into my computer but a small USB sound card would be simpler (and insanely better than using the mic. input).
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols