Minitaur CV control

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
yentz

Minitaur CV control

Post by yentz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:32 pm

Hi,
are there any good tutorials on how to use the minitaur in a modular setup?
I am a bit confused and would be happy if someone could point me into the right direction.
Also I am wondering whether it is possible to control it using midi as well as CV. So lets say I am using midi for note on off, pitch etc and maybe can do frequency modulation with CV coming through the pitch in?
I still haven't figured out on how to use the editor within my DAW (live on Windows).
I can use the editor standalone with USB and trigger midi from within my DAW using a regular midi interface / cable.
From my understanding it should be possible to have a dedicated track within my DAW that just hosts the plugin to automate, change presets etc. However there are some things I don't really understand.
1. Does the editor plugin have to go on an audio or midi track? I thought clearly midi but it isn't quite clear how the communication works as
2. Placing the editor plugin on a midi track and setting the output of the channel to the minitaur usb port does not result the editor to connect to the hardware. When used as a plugin within the daw the minitaur usb driver is not available to choose inside the editor (Setup -> Settings -> Editor Settings -> Midi input & output) which is the place where I choose the driver when using the editor standalone.
It isn't the end of the world as the minitaur more or less just does one thing but this really good and so dialing in the sound as needed isn't a big issue but it still would be nice.
3. Using as a filter bank. I have to admit I just tested it once a couple of years ago but after hours of DIYing with Dibond to make it work within Eurorack + making a 2 HP panel for the connections of it it would be great to use it for more than just the internal sound architecture. I still don't really get how. Do I have to send a midi note to start the envelope? Could I use CV instead?
The unit sounds absolutely awesome but somehow all the extra features are more or less useless as they seem to be much more complicated than necessary.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Minitaur CV control

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:50 pm

Hi Yentz!

Many interrogations... only one of which I can answer: you can definitely control the Minitaur with MIDI and use the filter frequency CV input to control the filter frequency. Think this as using an expression pedal input, it's all the same!

yentz

Post by yentz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:44 pm

I just checked.
To be honest I don't know why but it does work as expected. I installed the midi driver and the editor and now, touch wood, I can have the editor on a midi track with the vi version which now does allow connecting to the minitaur usb.
In the editor there is an option to "map" the CV inputs. I havent checked if a complete cv gate control would be possible as I do have midi available within the Eurorack-setup. It says the CV is transformed to midi which might be a problem for fast modulation but I suppose I don't really need to do fm with the unit. Going to try the next days. All in all a good solutionand way better than just being to able to play it using cv gate what I was thinking initially.

benders

Post by benders » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:51 pm

I had the same problem with tracking via CV with a new Minitaur. Emailed Moog and never got a response. I must have tried calibrating the thing 15-20 times. I finally got it to kind of work, but never 100%. Was a frustrating experience and just ended up using midi.