accessing scratchy volume pot on Sirin? are the pots themselves sealed?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
tgz

accessing scratchy volume pot on Sirin? are the pots themselves sealed?

Post by tgz » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Hello, my Sirin I got used off Reverb has a scratchy volume pot I'd like to hopefully fix with a clean and lube. Is this even possible or are they sealed?

Do all the knobs w/nuts have to come off or is the pot accessible just by removing the screws on the side panels etc and lifting up the panel? Sealed or not I'd still like to know but can't find any info on opening these up, and l read somewhere that a service manual had not yet been created. I found some photos of the inside but I don't see the answer:
https://blog.richtonemusic.co.uk/posts/ ... inger-joy/
thanks

tgz

Re: accessing scratchy volume pot on Sirin? are the pots themselves sealed?

Post by tgz » Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:52 am

Looking at the above picture again I realized there must be a wiring loom connecting all the pots to the board via that ribbon cable (disconnected and out of focus in foreground of pic), so I'm guessing the pots can be accessed by just removing the panel from the chassis and pulling off the ribbon. Whether it's a sealed pot remains to be seen.

On another note, strangely immediately after my original post I got an idea (I've had the Sirin a year, but haven't spent a lot of time with it). There's 2 big scratches in the lower half of the volume sweep. As I use a volume pedal in conjunction with the knob when playing I tried just using the 12 o'clock to full on range on the Sirin and adjusting volume on the mixer. Works nice in that at least for now I can play with the Sirin's volume while improvising and not worry about ruining a recording. OK but misses having the full interaction available of how a patch might interface with the Sirin's full volume sweep.