OK to use both USB & MIDI with Sirin?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
hieronymous

OK to use both USB & MIDI with Sirin?

Post by hieronymous » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:34 pm

I finally downloaded the Sirin editor (using a Mac) and connected it my Sirin to my computer. Looks interesting, I'm interested in trying out some of the presets - only been using it "manually" up til now - also looking forward to saving some of my own presets.

But I realized - I want to plug in my MIDI controller keyboard too while I have the unit plugged in to my computer via the USB MIDI. I recall seeing in other places (not necessarily this forum) that using both USB & MIDI at the same time can mess things up. Is that an issue here? Seems like it shouldn't be - you must be able to have a keyboard plugged in while trying out the presets, etc. - but wanted to check! Total noob question I know! I'm not a newbie to Moogs but somewhat of a MIDInewb.

Thanks!

mfl

Re: OK to use both USB & MIDI with Sirin?

Post by mfl » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:12 pm

Should not cause any problems.

I can imagine possible conflicts trying to run 2 sequencers in parallel (using a computer thru USB and an external controller thru the standard MIDI port) or sending program changes messages from both at the same time but nothing worst than having a program change being ignored or having a note off message being skipped (resulting in an hung note, easily fixed with a MIDI panic CC message or simply unplugging and re-plugging the Sirin).

I definitely wouldn't try sending System Exclusive messages (SysEx) on both ports at the same time, which might mess up the synth in ways that would be more tricky to solve, but I'd be surprised if your MIDI controller could do that by accident (the editor, mostly the 'setup' tab, do use SysEx messages).

I once used a USB to MIDI 5din interface (roland um-one) to send notes messages from MuseScore to my Minitaur while having the stand alone editor running in parallel connected directly thru USB. Other than the fact that this was silly compared to using a proper DAW that could host the editor as a plugging while also managing notes messages using a single USB ports, I experienced no problems during the few days I did that.

EDIT: I never used the 'ECHO DIN > USB' global setting (setup tab of the editor) but it does hint that Moog properly implemented and tested the possibility to use both MIDI and USB at the same time (most likely so that the editor can reflect changes done from a MIDI controller).
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols

hieronymous

Re: OK to use both USB & MIDI with Sirin?

Post by hieronymous » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:20 pm

mfl wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:12 pm Should not cause any problems.

I can imagine possible conflicts trying to run 2 sequencers in parallel (using a computer thru USB and an external controller thru the standard MIDI port) or sending program changes messages from both at the same time but nothing worst than having a program change being ignored or having a note off message being skipped (resulting in an hung note, easily fixed with a MIDI panic CC message or simply unplugging and re-plugging the Sirin).

I definitely wouldn't try sending System Exclusive messages (SysEx) on both ports at the same time, which might mess up the synth in ways that would be more tricky to solve, but I'd be surprised if your MIDI controller could do that by accident (the editor, mostly the 'setup' tab, do use SysEx messages).

I once used a USB to MIDI 5din interface (roland um-one) to send notes messages from MuseScore to my Minitaur while having the stand alone editor running in parallel connected directly thru USB. Other than the fact that this was silly compared to using a proper DAW that could host the editor as a plugging while also managing notes messages using a single USB ports, I experienced no problems during the few days I did that.

EDIT: I never used the 'ECHO DIN > USB' global setting (setup tab of the editor) but it does hint that Moog properly implemented and tested the possibility to use both MIDI and USB at the same time (most likely so that the editor can reflect changes done from a MIDI controller).
Thank you mfl! That helps a lot. I think that it may have been the trying to send messages to the unit via both MIDI & USB that I had heard, like two sequencers or SysEx. It would be kind of absurd if you couldn't play notes via a MIDI keyboard while selecting different presets or adjusting parameters via the editor.

And I never thought of using the Sirin with a DAW, I'm just recording audio into my DAW. I think that's why a lot of the problems I see people posting about are irrelevant to me, but we'll see how I do with the editor. Looking forward to experimenting!