Sirin drone mode doesn't always work.

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
moogme

Sirin drone mode doesn't always work.

Post by moogme » Sat May 02, 2020 12:34 pm

Anyone else have this issue on Sirin or Minitaur. It seems to work when it wants to. No other feature seems to have that issue.

Is there a trick to it? Seems pretty straight forward.

mfl

Re: Sirin drone mode doesn't always work.

Post by mfl » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:15 pm

Drone mode never worked for me until I used the pots calibration SysEx commands. Presumably because I could never hit the max value of the amp sustain knob when using the shift panel combo.
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols

moogme

Post by moogme » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:46 am

Thanks for the response. Where can one get the commands you used?

mfl

Post by mfl » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:21 am

https://api.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... mmands.zip

Pot Calibration:
Set all panel pots to minimum, then send: F0 04 08 14 00 00 F7.
Set all panel pots to maximum, then send: F0 04 08 14 01 00 F7.
Set VCO2 Freq and EG Amount pots exactly centered, then send:
F0 04 08 15 00 00 F7.
Etherwave+ > Eurorack > [CV cables] > Minitaur , Sirin < [USB cables] < Bidule < nanoKontrols

mfl

Post by mfl » Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:32 am

(the file I just linked and example I posted were for the Minitaur. For Sirin, the product id needs to be 18 instead of 08).

Pot Calibration: (for Sirin)
Set all panel pots to minimum, then send: F0 04 18 14 00 00 F7.
Set all panel pots to maximum, then send: F0 04 18 14 01 00 F7.
Set VCO2 Freq and EG Amount pots exactly centered, then send:
F0 04 18 15 00 00 F7.

moogme

Post by moogme » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:26 am

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated I will give it a try.

thingue

Post by thingue » Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:38 am

moogme wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:26 am Thanks a lot. Much appreciated I will give it a try.
hey :-)
Can you explain to me how to give a try...?
I don't understand how it works.

Thanks !

thingue

Post by thingue » Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:47 am

Here's a minitutorial for those, like me, who doesn't know anything about SysEx commands (thanks to @milltertime) :

System Exclusive messages are part of the MIDI standard that allows manufacturers to write custom commands for their hardware. These commands allow for a number of actives including loading/dumping: firmware, patch information, tuning tables, and calibration information. In order to use SysEx you will need your device turned on and connected via MIDI to your computer. You will also need software capable of sending SysEx messages. A popular and free tool for OS X is SysEx Librarian. It can be downloaded from http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian. Lastly, you will need the actual SysEx messages themselves. (The 3 pot calibration .syx files were not included in the Minitaur SysEx commands zip file so I had to create them. I tried to upload them to this post but .syx files are not allowed.)

SysEx Librarian uses a binary file format which presents raw data to your device. Other SysEx tools may allow you to type the hex SysEx message in directly, but SysEx Librarian requires us to load binary .syx files. Creating a message in TextEdit and then changing the file extension will NOT work since the resulting file is not in binary. There's a mac app that can create .syx files. https://hexfiend.com/

Use it to create 3 separate .syx files. Enter the message data one message at a time. F0 04 18 14 00 00 F7 is the minimum pot calibration command, F0 04 18 14 01 00 F7 is the maximum, and F0 04 18 15 00 00 F7 is the command for the midpoints of VCO 2 Freq and EG Amount. Each time you click Convert! a sysex.syx file will be downloaded. Rename each file to reflect the message you created. (i.e., _SIRIN_Pot_Cal_Min.syx, _SIRIN_Pot_Cal_Max.syx, and _SIRIN_Pot_Cal_Mid.syx.) Connect and turn on your device and open SysEx Librarian. In the Destination drop down box select your device/port. In this case Moog SIRIN. Drag the 3 .syx files into SysEx Librarian. Set ALL SIRIN knobs to their minimum value, select the _SIRIN_Pot_Cal_Min.syx file inside SysEx Librarian and click the Play button. Watch your Minitaur's MIDI LED to see if it received the message. The LED should light up and then turn off. If it didn't you either missed it light up or you have a MIDI transmission/connection issue. Next set all the Minitaur knobs to their maximum value and play the SIRIN_Pot_Cal_Max.syx message. And finally, set the VCO 2 Freq and EG Amount knob to their center point and send the _SIRINr_Pot_Cal_Mid.syx message. Your SIRIN is now calibrated!