Minitaur question

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
piecomics

Minitaur question

Post by piecomics » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:58 am

Hi all,
I'm looking to make a first purchase and I'm a little confused. I'm new to synthesizers and for what I want to do the minitaur looks perfect (a synth to match with my kora). I'm completely new to the synthesizer world and have read as much as I can but don't have a great store nearby to look at things.

So the Minitaur requires a controller. I have access to a Yamaha CP300. According to the manual it can be used for MIDI output, does this mean it can be used as a controller for the Minitaur or do I need a separate controller? Also (again excuse my ignorance) if it will work what type of cables are necessary to connect?

Thanks for any help. I feel very ignorant entering this world but in a year hopefully I won't!

-Ben

hieronymous

Re: Minitaur question

Post by hieronymous » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:47 pm

Yes, you will need a controller. I believe the kora is a stringed instrument? You may want to consider triggering your Minitaur with bass pedals, so that you can play the Minitaur with your feet while you play the kora. You might be able to find a used set of Roland PK-5 or PK-5A pedals (not currently in production as far as I know), or you could get the Keith McMillen 12-Step. I have both - I prefer the PK-5A because they are comfortable and easy to trigger, but the 12-Step is much more portable! You will also need to get the MIDI Expander.

You will also need an amplifier for the Minitaur if you want to perform with it, or will you mainly be recording?

You might also want to consider the Moog Sirin instead of the MInitaur if you are going to be recording, since it has higher range and could be used for melodies as well as bass.

piecomics

Post by piecomics » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:22 am

Kora is a stringed instrument. As of right now I'm going to be primarily recording with it - I don't think I want to use a foot pedal setup because my intention is to write/record the two lines separately. I was hoping to use the yamaha since it would mean less initial cost, but barring that I would look for some kind of hand operated controller.

For an amplifier, I have access to a keyboard amp, is that an appropriate amp at least for starting?

I will look into the Sirin. That may be more appropriate for me.

thanks!

hieronymous

Post by hieronymous » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:26 pm

It looks like the CP300 has MIDI out so you should be able to use it as a controller. (Sorry I got so excited about bass pedals!)

How will you be recording? If you're recording into a DAW (digital audio workstation) then you don't really need an amp, you can plug the synth directly into the computer (with an appropriate interface).

And since you are recording, I do recommend the Sirin if you can get your hands on one - I would think you'd be able to take advantage of the increased range.

Would love to hear recordings when you get something together!