Minitaur: Noise overlaps sound and fades away as the sound fades away

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
FedeB

Minitaur: Noise overlaps sound and fades away as the sound fades away

Post by FedeB » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:29 pm

Hello Everybody,

First, I'd like to say it is not electrical noise caused by ground, I have a DI box to take care of that.
It doesn't come from the USB plugged to my computer or any other electrical source in my home studio.

The thing is that this noise is fading away as the sound fades away. It is much more noticeable with low notes and especially when the cutoff is low, in other words when the sound is darker.
This is even more noticeable when turning the cutoff, the resonance and the EG amount knobs all the way down. The sound will disappear but the noise persists. Is my device broken?

Thanks in advance and have a good day all!

Firmware: 2.2.1
Editor: 3.2.1

FedeB

Re: Minitaur: Noise overlaps sound and fades away as the sound fades away

Post by FedeB » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:16 am

Sorry, editor is 3.2.0. I am not editing my original post because if I do it I have to wait one more day to be approved.

Here is a video I made of the issue, hope it can help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xZevAy ... e=youtu.be

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:10 am

I've had this happen when using a TRS cable instead of a TS cable somewhere in the minitaur path.

Do you hear the noise when plugging headphones directly into the headphone jack?
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

FedeB

Post by FedeB » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:40 pm

I have both TRS and TS cable, I tried with both and the result is the same.

Yes, I can hear it also when unpluggin everyting, also USB and triggering it via midi and monitoring using headphones.

FedeB

Post by FedeB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:33 pm

Just had an official answer from Jared.

This is correct functioning:

You're welcome, yes this is typical. It is normal to hear the sound of the Gate opening even with the oscillators down, if your master volume is high. On a separate note, I notice that in the video your EG Amount setting is not all the way down but rather at 100% negative amount. You'll want to set that knob at center if you want zero EG Amount.

The gate opens any time a note is pressed. It is what lets the sound pass through the synthesizer out to the audio jack. The hiss that you hear along with that is simply the noise floor due to the master volume being so high.