Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Sirin and Minitaur

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum

Sirin and Minitaur

Postby stiiiiiiive » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:15 pm

So, it seems that the only difference between the brand new Sirin and the good ol' Minitaur is the note range in the high direction. That's on paper however.

Are there any of you guys that have both? Do they differ on a sonic aspect or anything else?
stiiiiiiive

Re: Sirin and Minitaur

Postby Quatschmacher » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:20 am

I’m also interested to hear if there are differences in the bass registers.
Quatschmacher

Postby GENTRY » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:26 pm

I've found that the oscillators are slightly different. I've just compared the two in this video - https://youtu.be/3wNQjv_nRk0

Long story short, the Square wave in the Sirin sounds more similar to the Sub 37 sub oscillator (albeit more vibey), whereas to my ears the Minitaur has more of a Moog Rogue flavour in the Square (which I prefer). The saw wave is basically the same from what I'm hearing. maybe slight less bass/more top, but honestly you'd have a hard time hearing the differences once you're actually using it in a patch.

Both are great, I'm finally selling my Minitaur and Rogue!
GENTRY

Postby franklinstower » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:38 pm

I've got two Sirins coming in the mail wednesday. Ill let you guys know what I think but my ears take a while to process the differences. I am a huge fan of this new synth from Moog. I've got a good feeling about it and its sound. Been wishing the Minitaur went into the upper ranges for a long time now. This is going to be great.

I think the MIritaur is one of Moogs best sounding synths and that growl will be very nice up in the upper octaves IMO. Now I will have two mother 32's a Minitaur and a Sirin for my drone section.

I do have a question though. Are the Mother 32's control voltages compatible with Sirin? Can I use the Mother 32's keyboard to activate notes on the SIrin via patch cables?
franklinstower

Postby BezO » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 pm

Seems like I'm the only disappointed Minitaur owner.

I assume this couldn't be done via firmware update. I'd love to see a hardware update option for the Minitaur if that's what would be necessary.

I'm also curious why they didn't add a power button/switch. I had to leave the screws out of my rack so I could unplug my Minitaur.
Moog Minitaur
MBP 2.8Hz 4-Core i7, 16GB RAM, OS 10.12.6
BezO

Return to Taurus, Minitaur & Sirin