Moog Music Forum

Share Ideas and Pass the word

Minitaur Longevity

Welcome to the Taurus & Minitaur Forum

Minitaur Longevity

Postby brow » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:31 pm

I'm curious how people feel about all the under the hood features that require an editor. at some point the minitaur will be discontinued and the editor software will stop being updated. how useful will these synths be once the new operating systems and devices stop being able to run older software? i mean if moog discontinues the minitaur tomorrow i would not be surprised if in 10 years the software won't run on the new computers.
brow

Re: Minitaur Longevity

Postby stiiiiiiive » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:19 am

Good question. Not a Minitaur owner but I'd like to point out a couple of things.

I've been using a Clavia G2 for 10+ years now; nothing is maintained about it, but still can use it.

Regarding the Minitaur, I guess the software is just an HMI for MIDI and SysEx capabilities, isn't it? If so, it can be replaced by many others applications, or even re-developed by the communitiy.
Just a guess though.
stiiiiiiive

Postby till » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:13 am

All the under the hood features are controllable through standard MIDI CC commands.
So see what parameter is using which MIDI CC command, just use some software MIDI Monitor in parallel to your Minitaur Editor.

The only thing that needs a different approach is the sound manager. But there is always the possibility to send individual MIDI sysex strings to import or export sounds.

But will we have USB in 10 years? Will there be MIDI interfaces available in 10 years? We don't know. But many of the under the hood parameters are also accessible via the interface of the Minitaur hardware:
https://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default ... dendum.pdf
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * Minimoog (built 1979) * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog reissues with MUSEs
till

Postby brow » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:57 am

good points. i would not be surprised if usb is no more in 10 years or at least usb would be all wireless.
brow

Postby Acid Mitch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:41 am

I’m using a MIDI interface from the 90’s and a laptop from 2003 to edit some of my synths.
Just because something gets discontinued doesn’t mean you have to stop using it.
Acid Mitch

Postby cousinofdeath » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:20 pm

Even if the moog editor ceases to be updated, there are a few Max 4 Live devices that replicate it's functionality. The only thing I'd be a little bummed about is if the Librarian stopped functioning. It's a little tricky managing patches w/ out it.
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser
cousinofdeath

Return to Taurus & Minitaur Forum