using 6-12 minitaurs together, as a poly synth?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
ummagumma

using 6-12 minitaurs together, as a poly synth?

Post by ummagumma » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:53 pm

has anyone tried hooking up a bunch of minitaur's, similar to SEM's from Oberheim, to make a poly synth?

I think with something like a MIDI bro, or MIDI pal, you could feed a bunch of them and distribute the voices to each:

https://www.audiothingies.com/product/midibro/

I have a MIDI bro and have had 6x mono synths all working in polyphony, it is very cool!

but I only have 1x minitaur :D

I guess the hard part would be applying a single global control to something like filter cutoff, LFO speed, OSC 1&2 type/pitch etc to all of them

Acid Mitch

Re: using 6-12 minitaurs together, as a poly synth?

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:11 am

I don’t think bass synths are a very good candidate for this sort of thing. Wouldn’t you be best using something that can play higher notes?

Quatschmacher

Post by Quatschmacher » Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:10 pm

Isn’t this functionality built in? There’s a few settings in the editor which allow poly chaining. You specify the number of each synth (eg 1 of 6) and, as far as I understand it, number one acts as a master to the chained units.

Acid Mitch

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:01 pm

ummagumma wrote:
I guess the hard part would be applying a single global control to something like filter cutoff, LFO speed, OSC 1&2 type/pitch etc to all of them
You could probably set up a midi controller to control all your Minitaurs at once or mult a cv.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:03 am

Acid Mitch wrote:I don’t think bass synths are a very good candidate for this sort of thing. Wouldn’t you be best using something that can play higher notes?
that is a good point, I didn't realize there was a high note limit on the minitaur!

just hit it last night as I was messing around

I guess this would be better suited to a batch of mother32's

also good to know about the poly chaining, thx Quatcsh