Can't update Minitaur firmware

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
black_label

Can't update Minitaur firmware

Post by black_label » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:33 am

I can't get my Minitaur to take the new firmware. If I use the autoloader, it gets to 99% every time and then says "something went wrong while performing this update, please try again."

If I try to manually load the firmware, I can't get the Minitaur to start in bootloader mode. I think I'm following the instructions correctly - hold the OSC 1 and OSC 2 wave buttons. Plug the Minitaur in. Then press the RELEASE button. Then release all three buttons together. Then nothing happens. No blinking GLIDE button, nothing.

I'm using a Mac, OSX Sierra. I'd really, really appreciate it if someone could offer some help! Thanks!
-------
Model D, Sub37, Minitaur & some Moogerfoogers

till

Re: Can't update Minitaur firmware

Post by till » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:34 am

I assume you connected you Minitaur to the Mac via USB and not via MIDI, right?
And is the USB cable going straight from the Mac's back to the Minitaur without a USB hub involved?

Some USB hubs are causing problems to MIDI SysEx data.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

black_label

Post by black_label » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:33 pm

That's correct. I'm using a USB cable directly to my Mac (with a USB-A to USB-C adapter, since the new Macs don't have USB-A ports.) I've tried a couple of different adapters and a hub, also. The computer doesn't seem to have a problem locating the Minitaur, it's just an issue of a) loading the automatic install driver and b) getting the Minitaur to start in bootlogger mode, which it should be doing but isn't.
-------

black_label

Post by black_label » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Is there a way to do a hard reset on my Minitaur so that it'll be able to start up in bootloader mode?
-------

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:39 pm

I don't know if there is, but from my understanding, your unit has no firmware loaded right now, and Moog's app is not working.

Have you tried simply sending the .syx file with the firmware from Sysex Librarian or MIDI-OX yet?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

black_label

Post by black_label » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:44 pm

Thanks, I tried that too and no luck. C6 seems to see the Minitaur and I can send the erase and 2.2 .syx files but the Minitaur doesn't seem to respond - the midi light never blinks like it's receiving data and it never restarts. Then if I open the editor, it says that the Minitaur is disconnected. I tried it in Sysex Librarian, too, with no results.

I've tried about 5 different usb cables and two different computers. I'm really pretty frustrated here. Is my only option left sending it to Asheville?
-------

black_label

Post by black_label » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:12 pm

I know that it's receiving commands from C6 because when I run "_Minitaur_Display_FW_Version_Cmd.syx", it shows that firmware v1.1.1 is loaded. Other than that, I can't seem to get it to respond to anything.
-------

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:25 am

Did you try with Sysex Librarian instead of C6?

Have you changed the speed in which it sends the messages?
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

black_label

Post by black_label » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:39 pm

I've tried with both and it seems like it transfers but doesn't. I think the main problem is that I can't get the Minitaur to go into bootloader mode so it won't take the erase or the new firmware. Is there any way to force bootloader mode other than the normal way of starting up with the osc 1&2 buttons pressed and then pressing the release button?
-------

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:36 pm

The Minitaur has an internal port called JTAG. You need a specific device which connects via USB to your computer to send information through this port, and I understand this is the next step in order to revive your unit

Hopefully you are able to get the device in your area, or maybe there is a simpler way to do it. I don't know for sure. You should contact Moog to find out.

peterzen

Post by peterzen » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:47 pm

I am having the same issue. I connected the Minitaur directly to the USB port on my Mac, entered the bootloader mode (Glide blinking) and ran the automatic installer. The process runs according to the description all the way to the end (glide light stops blinking and Release lights up), but the device is no longer recognized by the Editor.

I have then tried to run the manual updater, following the steps. Both .sys files were transferred to the device (MIDI light and VCO2 blinking), then Release lights up but it is still not recognized.

Is there any other way I can try, or should I return the device to the distributor?

Thank you,

Peter

GrahamPhisher

Post by GrahamPhisher » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Just want to put this out there, C6 froze and crashed when I was updating firmware, now my Minitaur is bricked / locked up which Amos Gaynes (I guess the head chief when it comes to info on the Minitaur said should not happen, and his reasoning made sense which I'll copy and paste below) but just in my opinion looking back I should of used MidiOX which in my opinion again is a lot more stable than C6 just not as straight forward. And yes I made sure the IDE looking ribbon cable was properly seated inside the Minitaur, and even tried holding down all 4 buttons (yes also using original power cable on a grounded power strip).

So here's what I'd recommend and always been using, MidiOX. (I just used c6 because it came packed with the firmware update.)

http://www.midiox.com/

Here's also a Mac alternative to C6

http://www.snoize.com
(never tried it before)

Amos Gaynes's reason why C6 crashing shouldn't have locked my Minitaur up which makes a lot of sense, not trying to scare people to update, Midi Sync sounds like a lotta fun get your mr oizo flat beat on, but you know clearly something went wrong. If I could go back in time I'd use MidiOX.
HI Graham,

The way the firmware update is supposed to work is as follows:

There are two sections of code memory in the Minitaur. One holds the bootloader, and the other holds the current firmware. When you turn on the power to the Minitaur, it always boots to the bootloader first. The bootloader's job is to verify the integrity of the main firmware and then, if the main firmware passes its test, to boot to the main firmware. The bootloader is also responsible for handling firmware updates.

During a firmware update, you boot to the bootloader and erase the main firmware, but the bootloader itself is never touched or modified by this process. If there is any trouble with loading the main firmware, like an incomplete or corrupted file, then on the next power cycle the bootloader should detect that the firmware image is no good. It then erases the main firmware section and waits for new firmware to be sent. To a user, this should look like the beginning of the firmware update process where the unit sits with its GLIDE button LED blinking on and off, to indicate that the bootloader is waiting for new firmware.

In your case, all the button LEDs being lit solid and the unit not appearing as a USB device indicates that the processor is not running or is locked up. This shouldn't be a state that it can get into in the normal course of what I described above. I've induced failed firmware updates all sorts of ways and the result is always that the broken firmware is erased and the bootloader waits for new firmware.

That's why I'm speculating that a loose ribbon cable could be a possible culprit... I'd say it's at least worth a quick check before shipping the unit back to Asheville NC, although we will certainly be glad to handle it that way if re-seating the ribbon cable doesn't wake it up.

Regarding the internal JTAG port, yes that's how code is originally loaded onto the unit at the factory, but it requires a special USB programmer to connect to it to load code from a computer and that hardware is on the expensive side. It's not something I'd recommend that you invest in given that it's our responsibility to get your hardware working again.

Thanks and kind regards,
Amos
Imageline FL Studio 11 / Windows 10 x64
Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 / Motu Microlite
Moog Sub Phatty / Moog Minitaur / Moog MF Delay
View complete gear list @ EquipBoard.com
My Music : Whorse 馬 [DUBRMX]
Visual Art / Photography Portfolio

mach1ne

Post by mach1ne » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:47 pm

I have exactly the same problem.

The Editor cannot tell which version of the firmware is on the MT and the Firmware Updater says Installed Version 'Unknown'.

I tried manual instal too but got as far as the part where you load the sysex erase and sysex update and send them but nothing happened (somewhere around the below section of the text file accompanying the manual update file)

(4. Click "LOAD", and load 'Minitaur_Firmware_Erase.syx' file into C6.

5. Click "SEND". VCO1 Wave switch should blink as the firmware is being erased. Once complete, VCO1 Wave switch should stop blinking and the Glide switch should keep on blinking slowly.)

Where to proceed? Contact Moog?

SlowLFOtoPitch

Post by SlowLFOtoPitch » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello all,

If you're having trouble with the Automatic Update or accessing bootloader mode, try updating the Minitaur manually. You will find the necessary files and instructions here.

If you are still having trouble with the manual installation, please contact us at [email protected]
TAYLOR MOTT
SERVICE DEPARTMENT MANAGER
MOOG MUSIC INC.

P: (828) 251.0090 ext. (217)
Fax: (828) 254.6233

Topin

Post by Topin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:57 am

Ok, solved it... at least for me!

Disconnect both Power and USB cable from the back of the unit.
Keep USB cable attached to the mac (not hub).
Hold down OSC1 and OSC2, plug the power into the minitaur.
Press Release, then depress all buttons together.
Now glide starts blinking.

Launch automatic firmware update on your mac.

NOW plug the USB cable on the minitaur! The software will find the bootloading minitaur and install the firmware on it