Minitaur knobs issue - e.g. Cut Off filter jumps open!

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
lineselecta

Minitaur knobs issue - e.g. Cut Off filter jumps open!

Post by lineselecta » Fri May 26, 2017 1:57 pm

Hey!

I am using the Minitaur with an Arturia The Factory Midikeyboard as a stand alone device. Only Connection between the two is via Midi Cable. No USB plugged in on both devices.

The problem is, e.g. the Cut Off knob seems to jump while turning it and the filter opens up suddenly for example around ten o'clock, afterwards it acts normal. Also, for example Filter Attack doesn't react, only when turned fully once, then it acts back to normal. After some time it starts all over again. I am only turning knobs at the Moog device.

I switched off all Midi sending data from the Artruria (except the keys and pitch wheel). New firmware installed on the Minitaur. Put the "Knob Mode" on the Minitaur software in "Passing Through" mode. Connection only via USB. No change. That doesn't help.

Seems like the Minitaur knobs still get some kind of Midi information although there shouldn't be any...?!

Any ideas? Thank you very much!

grenert

Re: Minitaur knobs issue - e.g. Cut Off filter jumps open!

Post by grenert » Sat May 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Does the Minitaur change the cutoff all by itself without anything connected?
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

lineselecta

Post by lineselecta » Mon May 29, 2017 12:17 pm

No, not by itself. I turn the cut off by hand and instead of a smooth filter way it just opens up suddenly. then the next time it would react normal and smooth. After a while, it all starts over again. It seems like the knob gets some kind of Midi data inbetween...

umbrella

Post by umbrella » Tue May 30, 2017 3:27 pm

It might be a hardware pot problem on your Minitaur. Put the knob mode to "snap" first in the editor, turn off 14-bit midi out if it's on, than make it drone standalone (glide pressed + amp sustain to zero and than to max) and see what happens. Or connect it to computer by USB, download Snoize Midi Monitor (it's for Mac, for win google something similar) and check what it is sending on Midi, if the values make sense.
Minitaur / MF Delay / MF Trem / CP-251 / Mac Mini / OS X 10.11.6

grenert

Post by grenert » Wed May 31, 2017 12:01 am

If the Minitaur doesn't misbehave on its own, then I would plug the Arturia keyboard into something that will report the MIDI stream from it, as suggested above. I use a Mutable Instruments Midipal for this, but there are software options as well. It may be sending spurious MIDI transmissions due to bad software or a flaky pot. You might want to rotate all of the Arturia's knobs a few times to clear up a dirty pot that might be causing problems.
Moog stuff: Slim Phatty, Minitaur, Mother-32, Werkstatt x2, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-108M
Running Moog software on Win7 64-bit
Dreams of a Voyager XL some day...

lineselecta

Post by lineselecta » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:26 am

umbrella wrote:It might be a hardware pot problem on your Minitaur. Or connect it to computer by USB, download Snoize Midi Monitor and check what it is sending on Midi, if the values make sense.
Thank you, umbrella! I disconnected the Arturia Keys and then Snoize Midi Monitor shows the weird Midi data sent from the Minitaur's Cut Off Knob. The protocol shows exactly the strange behaviour of the pot! Looks like its broken and I will have it repaired! Thanks for your help!