different cv voltages and gate

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
Bertotti

different cv voltages and gate

Post by Bertotti » Thu May 18, 2017 12:12 am

Well i have a minitaur and Korg Arp Odyssey the cv standard between the two is different while one is -5 to +5 the other is 0-10. Can someone point me in the right direction to get these to play well together? A converter, some print I can build anything would help. Thanks!

MC

Re: different cv voltages and gate

Post by MC » Thu May 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Use MIDI. One of the reasons why MIDI was invented was to eliminate incompatible interface protocols like CV and gate voltage differences.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Thu May 18, 2017 4:16 pm

Thanks, I have used each individually with my mac book pro but now i have the new one with four Thunderbolt3 ports. I guess either way I will need a box of some sort. I have never used cv and wondered if it was a better way then midi. Do you loose anything using midi instead of cv? Perhaps I should look into one of the connectivity boxes and route my midi into it. I don't have any kind of midi interface.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 am

Bertotti wrote:Thanks, I have used each individually with my mac book pro but now i have the new one with four Thunderbolt3 ports. I guess either way I will need a box of some sort. I have never used cv and wondered if it was a better way then midi. Do you loose anything using midi instead of cv? Perhaps I should look into one of the connectivity boxes and route my midi into it. I don't have any kind of midi interface.
Yes, you lose at least one thing: The Glide function might not have the same curve on each synth, and that can be a really PITA when using MIDI
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

umbrella

Post by umbrella » Fri May 26, 2017 5:20 am

Bertotti wrote:Well i have a minitaur and Korg Arp Odyssey the cv standard between the two is different while one is -5 to +5 the other is 0-10. Can someone point me in the right direction to get these to play well together? A converter, some print I can build anything would help. Thanks!
A/ Cables DIY
Look for passive attenuator for Eurorack (some DIY) and build you own cable with that: minijack mono -> attenuator to drop the gate signal from 10V to 5V -> 1/4" jack mono.
You need the attenuator only for the gate signal - for the keyboard CV just get the minijack->1/4" cable and don't play higher that C5 on Korg. Now you can play the Minitaur from Korg's keyboard.

B/ Taking advantage of Minitaur's CV inputs
Get Moog CP-251, bunch of 1/4" patch cables and 3 cables minijack->1/4" mono. Now you can play the Minitaur from Korg's keyboard and you just expanded your Minitaur with additional AD envelope, LFO, S&H circuit, noise source, etc and combination of those. (You can also reassign the CV inputs on Minitaur to different params but you need to connect it to computer for that).

C/ Standalone (no computer) MIDI
Get some standalone MIDI device that can make them talk together without a computer (like Bome Box or Kenton USB host).

D/ Computer MIDI
Get USB hub for your Mac.

It depends what you want to do with them.
Minitaur / MF Delay / MF Trem / CP-251 / Mac Mini / OS X 10.11.6

Bertotti

Post by Bertotti » Fri May 26, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks for the info everyone. I have looked at the cp251 but never really understood it it is all newer to me, I will dig into it and see what I can find showing me the functions on the net. I have also looked into a connectivity midi interface, it looks very capable are any of you using one?
I have a hub on order another week before it shows up. I will dig into cables. Thanks everyone you have helped me a lot.