Minitaur Filter Cutoff slowly declining on it's own?

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
graintable

Minitaur Filter Cutoff slowly declining on it's own?

Post by graintable » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:13 pm

A few weeks ago I noticed the Filter Cutoff on my Minitaur was slowly rolling down on it's own without any knob movement or lfo. I plugged it into my computer and opened the editor and it shows the knob moving a tiny bit every couple of seconds. The midi in on the editor lights up as if the knob is being moved, but it's not?

Is the filter broken? Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas? I sent a support email last week, but maybe they're all still at namm?

cagriyilmaz

Re: Minitaur Filter Cutoff slowly declining on it's own?

Post by cagriyilmaz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:59 pm

I have the similar problem. I just got my Minitaur for 2-3 days. Today, It started to working as there is a modulation on cutoff or frequency, whichever i change first, it starts to modulate with some rate. Can someone help?

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:20 pm

This happens to me randomly as well - I think is just a sign of the filter pot going bad, will eventually need to send it to Moog to replace it.
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

trevordaly

Post by trevordaly » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:08 am

Mine does this when I have something plugged into the pitch cv input....

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:44 am

Hi Gang,

Although I haven't had this happen on my Minitaur, I did have it happen on my Little Phatty.
(And it was easy to see because of the ring of LEDs around the knob.)

It turned out to be caused by noise from a BOSS power supply that was plugged into the same AC source as the LP.

Another time it was because of the noise from a JamHub power supply.

When I removed those sources of noise, the Filter Cutoff crawl ceased.

Strangely, the noise was able to do that even when the only connection between the two devices was an audio cable.

Obviously, it might be something else, but I very much doubt that it's a bad pot that slowly turns itself.

At least try the Minitaur in a completely isolated test: Minitaur + its power supply + headphones. No computers or other wallwarts plugged in.

Latch the AMP ENVELOPE's GATE to On so you can hear something with no keys and see if the Filter Cutoff is now stable.

Here's the front-panel shortcut for GATE ON/OFF:

GATE ALWAYS ON:
Press GLIDE, turn AMP EG SUSTAIN knob to Zero, then to Max.
(Do “PANIC” function to turn Off again.)

PANIC/ALL NOTES OFF:
Press GLIDE + turn AMP EG SUSTAIN knob to Zero.
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

art507

Post by art507 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:15 am

Hi !

Sorry for the late post.
I have the same issues with my MOOG Minitaur and the Little Phatty. It seems to be a similar problem to the "Dancing Lights" or "Dancing LEDs" of Little Phattys.
When I put both devices to the inputs of the Steinberg UR22 sound card, some of the parameters on both of them start to moving. it doesn't happen when I work with either using headphones, or if I put only one synth to my sound card. It seems to be a problem of grounding with the most of the MOOG synths.

I don't think that is a problem of a bad pot.

Read please the Little Phatty forum ;)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:59 am

Seconding that info :)

EDIT: I have the opportunity to buy a Minitaur for cheaper than usual because of this behaviour. The seller is convinced the problem is due to a bad pot, but he seems not to have tested the Minitaur in another place than his own studio. Unfortunately, he's located to far for me to try the instrument. As my LP does that in some occasions, but never in my usual music places (home and a couple of rehearsal studios...), I was thinking: can I safely think that if my LP doesn't do it, the Minitaur won't neither?...
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

art507

Post by art507 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:44 am

I bought a new Minitaur at the oficial Moog dealer and a second hand Little phatty. in my case the problem occurs with both of them only when I put two instruments at the same time to the inputs of the sound card. Then I notice some changes in the sound of Minitaur and I see that the lights of Little Phatty move themself a little. Both of instruments are stable with the Headphones and if I put only one of them to the soundcard .

If the symptoms of the Minitaur you are buying are the same, if there is no problem of the grounding, the Minitaur should work well in the places that your Little Phatty works fine.

It's only my opinión ;)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:19 am

Hola art507!
Thanks for your piece of advice, I'll ask for more details to the seller and think about that :)
If I eventually buy it, I'll come back for sharing my experience.