Minitaur keeps detuning

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
edrochagoncalves

Minitaur keeps detuning

Post by edrochagoncalves » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:53 pm

Hey There,

Everytime I switch on my Minitaur it seems VCO2 is detuned... I run through the calibration sysex and it solves it, but I'm wondering what might be causing it. It's connected by usb to a Macbook pro 13'' and it seems to happen after every power down. Anyone else have this?

Thanks

Ed

papawise

Re: Minitaur keeps detuning

Post by papawise » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:04 pm

edrochagoncalves wrote:I run through the calibration sysex and it solves it
I'm not sure if I have the same, but many times I hear a detuned oscilator without touching it.

How do you run the SySex calibration mate?

thanks
Moog Sub 37, Moog Minitaur V2, Moog Voyager RME, Eowave Magma, Eowave Domino, Dave Smith Mopho X4, Cyclone 303 Bassbot, MFB Tanzbar, Roland SH-101

d'ni

Post by d'ni » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:38 pm

Same happens here sometimes. :cry: I use it with DIN midi and I feared i need to calibrate that damn beast, but it was fine the next day. Seems like power off/on helps, sometimes.
The osc.calibration can be done by the editor, but that takes it's time to go through. And there are some sysex files for sending voltages for the hilarious 1v/oct calibration.

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:57 am

papawise wrote:
edrochagoncalves wrote:I run through the calibration sysex and it solves it
I'm not sure if I have the same, but many times I hear a detuned oscilator without touching it.

How do you run the SySex calibration mate?

thanks
Amos has a post in here somewhere with a calibration file to download. Just run it in your sysex librarian connected to the Minitaur and it calibrates de pots and tuning. takes like 1 minute.

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:11 am

It gets weirder!

If I just switch it on with the usb cable connected there's an intermitente tone like a phone dialling in the background! I bleep you not!! There must be some grounding/power issue that's turning my minitaur into an antenna LOL Even though that would still not explain the detuning... I'm gonna disconnect the usb and use it via midi, which has never posed any problems... will report if it doesn't solve the issue.

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Ok...so it's still happening....

Basically, if I power the unit down and then power it back up VCO2 is detuned... i need to run the calibration sysex to get it up tuned again. Any ideas?

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:10 am

Have you tried different presets? Just trying to eliminate dumb things.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:29 am

SOLVED!

jsharpphoto, you're a genius! I never use the presets so I keep forgetting they exist! :lol: I thought that wouldn't be possible since even after turning all the knobs and switching all the buttons on and off VCO2 never regained tuning, but there you go. Haven't the slightest clue how the main preset ended up like that, midi can do some weird stuff! Thanks everyone!!

Ed

edrochagoncalves

Post by edrochagoncalves » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:45 am

Well, that's what you get when you don't read the revision manuals...

Glide + VCO2 changes the beat frequency of VCO2, didn't know I could do that from the front panel! :D

Thanks again, sorry for wasting everyone's time!

Ed

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:33 pm

It's not a waste of time. I'm sure in a few months someone will find this thread after searching for the same answer. Glad you got it sorted.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2