MF Boost and Minitaur

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
jsharpphoto

MF Boost and Minitaur

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:37 pm

I've been using an MF Drive with one of my minitaurs. I'm growing more unhappy with the filter in the MF Drive. It seems i'm constantly battling it to remain neutral. It makes the minituar's filter almost ineffective. I'm considering swapping the MF Drive for an MF Boost. I'm just worried the Boost might not have ENOUGH balls.

Is anyone using these two together?
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EMwhite

Re: MF Boost and Minitaur

Post by EMwhite » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:03 pm

I have both (well, all three). What is it you would like to try exactly?

I'm currently using my Boost as a clean, pedal powered VCA for my Bass rig; My Drive is a sometimes overdrive pedal but usually it just sits along with my other 4 drive type pedals. I need another expression pedal to really make it useful in my opinion.

Let me know and I'll see what I can find out for you...
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:41 am

And you record just a dry bass signal, square waves. The kick on the boost and crank it up over a few measures. I just want to see if it can gain enough to overdrive.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:14 am

Sure, I can do that.

But what are you driving? The boost is a clean boost which will add some amount of db and some amount of warmth. Ideally it enhances with a bit of compression, your signal and drives a tub amp nicely but not aggressively.

But if the signal chain is simply Minitaur out into the Boost into your amp, I can do that. Give me a few days and I'll post a YouTube video along with an uncompressed .wav or something of the like.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:25 am

I'm going (currently) straight from the minitaur to a MF Drive, to my audio interface. I wish there was a mod to just bypass the filter in the Drive.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:48 pm

Hi. I don't have any video/audio to share yet but I've been playing around with the Boost and the Minitaur and have found that the signal is indeed a very very very clean boost (e.g. no discernible difference at least playing through Yamaha HS-5 monitors) whether in bypass, VCA mode (switch down) and a dialed in unity setting, or with the boost mode (switch up) and unity through full CCW of all controls.

Of course, I have a tube amp that I use for my bass and that is the next step so I'll get to that in the next day or two and am pretty sure that I'll enjoy the gentle breakup of the overdriven tube front end of my Mesa Engineering Walkabout.

If you watch the Chicago Music Exchange video of the Boost, you'll see/hear just that... that his VOX amp is breaking up nicely;

I could be wrong and will do a full run-through of tests again later in the week but so far, I'm not terribly impressed.... except that I bought the MF-Boost for a very special purpose, for an expression pedal based VCA that I use inline between the Tube stage and solid state final stage of my 300W amp. Many volume pedals send your audio signal through a $2 alpha potentiometer... the MF-Boost in this mode is a (from my perspective) hi-fi attenuation and I prefer it to monkeying with a volume control on the front of my amp.

As with all boost/drive pedals, you must back down the final output as you increase the drive to keep the output at a top level, else you'll blow through the ceiling of your audio interface... in the case of a tube amp, or even a solid state amp, this is generally preferred... however, in the case of an audio interface, it's bloody hell (hard clipping)

Be back shortly with more...

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:18 am

I'm not having gain issues with the drive, just too much filtering.

The more I'm learning about it though, the more I think it's not what I'm looking for. Now considering the EHX Bass Soul Food.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2