About to jump into Moog land - Minitaur...

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
DaFuzzandDaMoog

About to jump into Moog land - Minitaur...

Post by DaFuzzandDaMoog » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:54 pm

Evening all good Moog folks,

So, I'm about to buy my first analogue synth, and absolutely sold on the sounds and sonic possibilities of the Minitaur.

I just have a few questions before hitting the 'BUY NOW' button -

1) Is windows 10 32bit supported for firmware/driver updates? I'm aware a new firmware has been in the offing for a while now, and should be released once the Sub 37 update is done - appreciate Amos is a one-man-band so to speak.

2) My audio interface is a Focusrite 2i2 - which I have been using with Renoise as my daw of choice (tracker based) with latency set to 6ms and no problems - is this going to be sufficient for playing/recording in sync?

3) I'll be running my Oxygen 8 v2 midi keyboard to control the Minitaur. To do this, I understand the following - Midi out Oxygen 8 > Midi in on the Minitaur. I now take it with the Minitaur usb connected this will send the midi / note commands to then be visible on the track in Renoise. This way I can edit my midi note data before finally committing it to audio? Then, once I have some audio patterns, I can further tweak with the Renoise sample commands = endless possiblities!

4) As my interface only has 2 inputs, could I utilise a Mackie 5 or 8 channel mixer to route audio from my s/card back into the Minitaur to use the filter to process and edit drum loops for example?

5) Would anything like the Korg Volca Beats allow me to daisy chain the midi chain outlined in 3) above to sync notes and also allow me to use the built in Volca step sequencer to feed the notes to the Minitaur also? I've got enough budget to cover the Minitaur and either a mixer if required to allow further input audio processing, or stretch to the Volca beats to allow me to play and sequence patterns away from the pc - which would be great fun, and very liberating compared to always staring at a monitor!

6) I've got some Moog expression pedals I have used with guitar fx in the past - I guess I can use this to control the filter or pitch bend direct by just plugging this in?

Apologies for the wall of text, I'm rather a newbie when it comes to all of this, so thought to ask all my questions in the right place.

Cheers,

DaFuzzandDaMoog

jsharpphoto

Re: About to jump into Moog land - Minitaur...

Post by jsharpphoto » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:25 pm

I have answered each question below.
DaFuzzandDaMoog wrote:Evening all good Moog folks,

So, I'm about to buy my first analogue synth, and absolutely sold on the sounds and sonic possibilities of the Minitaur.

I just have a few questions before hitting the 'BUY NOW' button -

1) Is windows 10 32bit supported for firmware/driver updates? I'm aware a new firmware has been in the offing for a while now, and should be released once the Sub 37 update is done - appreciate Amos is a one-man-band so to speak.

I have no idea. I'm a Mac user.

2) My audio interface is a Focusrite 2i2 - which I have been using with Renoise as my daw of choice (tracker based) with latency set to 6ms and no problems - is this going to be sufficient for playing/recording in sync?

I'm sure it will be fine.

3) I'll be running my Oxygen 8 v2 midi keyboard to control the Minitaur. To do this, I understand the following - Midi out Oxygen 8 > Midi in on the Minitaur. I now take it with the Minitaur usb connected this will send the midi / note commands to then be visible on the track in Renoise. This way I can edit my midi note data before finally committing it to audio? Then, once I have some audio patterns, I can further tweak with the Renoise sample commands = endless possiblities!

Correct.

4) As my interface only has 2 inputs, could I utilise a Mackie 5 or 8 channel mixer to route audio from my s/card back into the Minitaur to use the filter to process and edit drum loops for example?

You don't need a mixer. Use your daw to group channels for output and send them to a single output channel on your soundcard, into the minitaur. The only reason you might need a mixer is if you were sending live instruments through this, but why would you do more than one at a time?

5) Would anything like the Korg Volca Beats allow me to daisy chain the midi chain outlined in 3) above to sync notes and also allow me to use the built in Volca step sequencer to feed the notes to the Minitaur also? I've got enough budget to cover the Minitaur and either a mixer if required to allow further input audio processing, or stretch to the Volca beats to allow me to play and sequence patterns away from the pc - which would be great fun, and very liberating compared to always staring at a monitor!

Not really. The minitaur and the volcas have 5 pin MIDI IN jacks only, so daisy chaining isn't possible. I would buy a beatstep pro sequencer, since I just saved you money on that mixer. It will sequence your Volca and the minitaur together, and is way more sophisticated as a sequencer than the Volca (minus the motion recording functions).

6) I've got some Moog expression pedals I have used with guitar fx in the past - I guess I can use this to control the filter or pitch bend direct by just plugging this in?

Yes and no. The expression pedal will work on the filter input jack, but not in the pitch jack. At least, not like a pitch bend.

Apologies for the wall of text, I'm rather a newbie when it comes to all of this, so thought to ask all my questions in the right place.

Cheers,

DaFuzzandDaMoog
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2