Dancing Filter Knob

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
cousinofdeath

Dancing Filter Knob

Post by cousinofdeath » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:41 am

Let me preface this by saying I use the minitaur in live performance...50+ gigs a year...and I use it in studio another 100 days a year...so over the past couple years the baby has gotten a lot of use.

I've noticed that some of the knobs are getting a little wonky, in particular the filter cutoff knob...this one gets the most play as it plays such an important role in sound shaping obviously. What i have noticed is that it will from time to time move "on it's own" - changing the the cutoff frequency...sometimes just wobbling back and forth, sometimes stair stepping all the way down to 0hz...in the middle of performance!

Of course the physical knob doesn't move...but when connected to the Editor/Librarian, the Minitaur is sending Midi signals to my mac that the filter is closing or wobbling, and I can see this "dancing" reflected on my screen.

Does this happen to anyone else? Could it be i've just worn out the pot?
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

MC

Re: Dancing Filter Knob

Post by MC » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:03 am

I have been repairing synths for thirty years and this is a very common failure for ANY synth with a genre that demands repetitive use of the filter pot.

I always tell people to take advantage of any rear panel jack that allows remote control of the filter cutoff using an external controller, like a simple passive pot in a tabletop wedge shaped enclosure. Two advantages: you wear out the component that is much easier (and cheaper) to replace, and after the synth is out of production you don't have to hunt down a hard-to-find pot that is an exact fit. You can also choose a much more rugged control pot than the original pot in the synth.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

cousinofdeath

Post by cousinofdeath » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:28 pm

thats good advice. might be too late in my case, but since the minitaur can accept midi CC to control virtually any parameter (save for some of the new ones in the the newest firmware...amos for some reason won't tell me what CC#'s to use to control them ;) I can just set my MPC sliders to control cutoff and try and use that instead.
Minitaur (sequenced via MIDI with an MPC1000 and USB w/ mac running OSX 10.10)
MF-101 Lo-Pass Filter
MF-103 Phaser

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:46 am

Hello Everyone,

Andy from Moog Tech Support here!

For assistance with any issues like this please contact us directly for support:

Andy Hughes, Service Manager
[email protected]
828-251-0090 xt 221

Nate Marino
[email protected]
xt. 204

Taylor Mott
[email protected]
xt. 217

Thanks!
Andy Hughes
Moog Music, Inc.

eslaqueen

Post by eslaqueen » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:44 am

A DJ filter, when integrated into a mixer, is almost always, nowadays, a dual ... with channel EQ on account of the reality of dealing with a knob. Just got in a new synth in this evening, and one of the continuous encoders is a bit jumpy. Turn it to the right, it increments consistently most of the time, a few times, it'll jump a value or two. However, turn it to the left, it will sometimes increment, sometimes decrement, sometimes do nothing. I pulled off the knob cover, and it has some nice dust behind it. I cleaned that out. Any other suggestions? The more I work it, it seems to be getting 'better', but any other suggestions for trying to 'fix' it? It has individual Inc and Dec buttons next to it, and those work perfect and behave how I expect them to. Stupid encoder knobs!