Minitaur CV input and tuning

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
makers

Minitaur CV input and tuning

Post by makers » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:37 am

So... I'm a Eurorack user who traded some gear for a used Minitaur. I'm sequencing it with a Metropolis.

I would like to have the Minitaur tuned to a C when it receives zero volts, 1 volt, 2 volts etc.

Mine is closer to a G instead. Tuning control does not have enough range to tune to a C. If I send a MIDI note C in everything is great. But I don't want to hook up MIDI at Gig just for this solution. I can also offset the output from Metropolis to solve the problem but that requires a voltage source I'd rather use for other purposes...

Is this normal Minitaur behavior? Anyone else find another solution for this?

Bertotti

Re: Minitaur CV input and tuning

Post by Bertotti » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:00 pm

I was reading something about user scales, if that is correct. I just don't remember where I read it. I thought it was a thread here somewhere.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:14 pm

There are two CV pitch calibration procedures, one for +1V and the second one for +4V. They are easy to send from the Minitaur Editor. Have you tried them?
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

makers

Post by makers » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:12 pm

Sure thing, Ive gone through the calibration procedures several times.

It responds perfectly to MIDI input and it stays proportionately in tune over several octaves with CV in as expected.

Can anyone tell me what their Minitaur is tuned to when you simply trigger a gate/open the VCA (no MIDI input).

Anyone know if there is a pitch offset timmer inside?

Thanks!

zaphod

Post by zaphod » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:15 am

Sorry to hijack / jump in on your post, but hopefully this might be related info / questions for you.

I've just started wanting to use the CV of my minitaur too, was previously sequencing my MIDI for the longest time.

I have some really wonky scaling happening too under CV and was told through support to use the Minitaur CV Calibration Utility in the Minitaur Editor.

Although wasn't really given very clear instructions how exactly this process works? (have emailed back)

I assumed you would press 'Note Calibration Start' - does a wonky scale sweep of pitches from low to high, then back to low.

Then when still running this calibration I pressed 'Pitch CV Calibration +1V' and then it does a long low to high sweep over about a minute or more.

Clicked the 'Note Calibration Stop' button in the editor after it stops scaling, and then it hasn't really done anything, back to the same problem.

Am I missing something? My unit is MT00454, maybe just an early adopter with CV issues? I know these earlier ones apparently had CV issues?

Hopefully a reply might help the OP too :D

makers

Post by makers » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:25 pm

This is what I did for calibration:

First run the "note calibration start" function and let it complete the process.

Then I completed the +1 V calibration followed by +4 V.

According a post on Muff's, my problem with 0 V. translating to a G (or G#) rather than a C is normal behavior. Apparently the Beta for new firmware and Editor offers a fix. Wish I had a chance to try it.

chefmenteur

Post by chefmenteur » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:19 pm

I have 2 friends who also own a Minitaur and could not get the CV tracking working correctly.

See my post here, and others in the thread for details: http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 15#p145645

carlotter

Post by carlotter » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:48 pm

Having just started getting into modular, and hoping to control my Minitaur over CV from a Mother-32 when I get it, this issue of 1V = G# instead of C is very annoying!! Does the beta really address this? When will the new firmware be available?

axool

Post by axool » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:53 am

Sample problem here, Ab instead of C, which means I have to send a C via midi each time before I want to use it. I do this procedure daily and it's time consuming. Please Moog do something :)
Last edited by axool on Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

juanneco

Post by juanneco » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:36 am

Moog, please address these comments. I've got a 600 dollar piece of equipment playing out of tune. I'm sure that if I was an expert user, I may have figured it out, but it seems that I am not enough.

I've tried all the things stated in this chat, restoring the CV, calibrating the note all the way through, manually trying to callibrate it +1 and +4 to get the note I need (none responsive). I'm running ableton live minitaur editor from an iMac.

Can we get an official moog answer?

flowz

Post by flowz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:58 am

I also tried to integrate the minitaur within my eurorack system. went also through all the thing statet in this chat - sending cv via q nexus or, via eurorack pressure points -> quantizer -> minitaur. seems like the basic note of the minitaur is between g and b . how can the oscilator be tuned to C?
Also got this advice and tried it :
The other way is to “trick” the unit into being tuned by sending different voltages than the calibration files are expecting(usually we send +1VDC and +4VDC to scale and calibrate the CV input). The customer, if he is savvy with voltages and such, can use his CV keyboard to send any voltage and then use the 1V calibration sysex file, then repeat for the +4V file. The important thing is that no matter what voltages are sent that the spread between the two points is exactly 3 volts(3 octaves).
Even had sysex files - but it didn´t work at all.
After hours of lifetime wasted - if you send in C3 = 0 volt minitaur plays gis 0 instead of gis 3. Opening up the minitaur there was no pitchtuning possible. So: in case there` no more advice coming i´ll sell the piece. The cv inputs are actually nothing more than gimmicks. i´d be happy if i´d be wrong!

carlotter

Post by carlotter » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:59 am

I think I've found a workaround - I've calibrated it with my René playing Ab1 for 1V calibration and Ab4 for 4V (instead of C1-C4). It seems to work ok that way so far. There is definitely an offset as I've measured C1 at 1V and C4 at 4V at the René output.

What is worse the lack of compatibility (or explanation on how to achieve it) with the Mother-32, despite it being advertised as a "perfect companion". The Mother-32 outputs -5V/+5V while the Minitaur's input expects 0V/+5V. I guess one way would be to offset the output Mother-32's voltage by 5V with an attenuverter but I haven't tried yet.

Yes!Yes!

Re: Minitaur & mother 32 CV input and tuning

Post by Yes!Yes! » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:21 pm

moog a small tutorial would be great to pair the two charmers !!